Chapter Twenty: Can We Just Pretend?

"What are you doing here?" I ask, surprised that he came back.

Derek shrugs in the worst kind of indifference, his voice cracking as he says, "I didn't have anywhere else to go."

I unlock the door and hold it open for him, watching him as he stands in the foyer awkwardly.

I start to walk up the stairs and motion for him to follow me. Once in the safety of my bedroom, his shoulders start to relax and he sinks into the comfort of my bed.

"I would ask how you're holding up but I think your appearance answers my question pretty well."

He challenges my stare with one of his own, "I think I'd say the same about you."

I look down at my attire and blush; my eyes are still puffy and red, free of makeup, and my hair is a complete disaster.

"Not that I'm judging," he says quickly, "considering I have a lot to do with it."

I nod, slightly cocking a brow.

"I'm sorry Skylar." He says quietly, his voice breathless. "I really am, but I just figured out I have..." he clears his throat, "had a sister that my parents never told me about, how do you really expect me to react?"

"I'm not saying you had to act like you were okay. I knew you weren't going to be, but you didn't have to lash out at me the way that you did. And you didn't have to leave like I was nothing to you- like we were nothing to you."

"You kept it from me, Skylar. I had a sister I wasn't aware of, one that didn't make it past living one day. You knew about her, and you kept it from me."

"Seven hours, Derek!" I exclaim, "It was seven hours that I knew about your sister. That's a lot less time than Adela knew about her and she was dead set on keeping you in the dark."

"She knew?" he asks quietly, cringing as soon as the words leave his mouth.

"She's known since the day your parents died. She was the one that should have told you when it happened."

"Why didn't she tell me?"

"For the same reason your mom didn't, and I didn't want to," I say as my voice starts to soften, "we can't stand to see in pain."

"I can't believe Adela kept this from me," he mutters, shaking his head slightly.

Looking down at him in pity, I try to hide the sadness in my eyes, "she was just trying to protect you. At seven years old, you would've been too young to understand, and it only would have made things worse."

"I'm not seven years old, anymore," he snaps harshly, then softens his tone when he notices my wince, "she's had plenty of time to tell me. How will I ever be able to trust her again when I know she lied to me-has been lying to me for almost all my life?"

I shrug, "you guys will figure it out. She was trying to keep you from getting hurt. Just talk to her Derek. I'm sure she'll be able to explain."

I smile sadly when he doesn't respond, "you're going to be okay, everything is going to be fine. This won't hurt forever."

"But it hurts now!" he exclaims, rubbing his face roughly.

I take a small step towards him, "I know it does, but you'll get through it. We'll help you through it."

A long beat of silence passes before he speaks again.

"I'm sorry," he repeats.

"I know you are," I say.