Chapter Eleven: Never Let Go

Aislinn looks past me, probably coming up with a totally reckless plan, something I've come to know, is her forte. Her eyes glitter with excitement, despite the fact that we could be nothing but a pile of flesh and bones in a couple of minutes.

"So what am I supposed to do while you're standing there contemplating what to do about this?" I ask my voice filling with sarcasm.

She doesn't even look at me when she says, "anything but stand there contemplating what to do."

I shoot her a look, "there's not much I can do if you don't tell me what you're thinking."

"I'm thinking of a way to get us out of here before we become the most recent tragic story on Belmount news."

"Great idea," I snap, "now what should I do?"

She looks at me quickly, "try stopping the floor from splitting."

I gape at her, "how do you expect me to do that? I didn't cause this; I don't know how to fix it."

"I don't know," she says irritably, "I'm not the immortal in the room. You're a creation of nature, so make it stop."

"Well you're the foreseer," I offer with a glare. "Why can't you just foresee us a way out of here?" I ask.

"You know that's not how it works." She snaps.

I glare and step further away from her, trying to focus on my breathing while I gather my magick.

I take a deep breath and remember something Adela told me when I first met her, don't focus too much on what's happening, focus on the simplest way of stopping it, and think from the end.

I raise my hands, palms facing the floor and think of an earthquake moving everything around. Aislinn cuts me out of thought when she calls out my name. I snap my eyes open to see the lockers and classroom doors shaking around even more then they were before.

I think of the earthquake slowing down, before it stops completely, watching in amazement as a translucent light slips from my hands, and covers the floor, causing it to steady itself and fall silent.

I breathe out and return to Aislinn, but the moment I release my hands, the ground starts to shake again.

I slip, and fall to the ground, forcefully hitting my head on the row of lockers behind me, causing a faint scab of blood to trickle down the side of my face.

"What happened?" Aislinn asks, as she helps me up off the floor, "It was working perfectly fine."

I close my eyes, "I think it needs steady treatment," I say, rolling my eyes when Aislinn shoots me a confused look.

She nods in understanding, "okay, you do that, and I'm gonna try to get this wall down. My brother isn't dead, I'd feel it if he was but I also know that he's freaking out and he's trapped somewhere, probably pissed off that he's not here to help us."

"I'm sure he's fine," I assure her, taking notice in her frantic tone. "Once you get the barrier down, I can keep the magick flowing while we find him."

She nods and walks to the opposite side of the hallway, not very steady on her feet because of the shaking and splitting floor.

I center my energy on the floor again, focusing on keeping the translucent light flowing through my finger tips. Once it starts to calm down, I decide to make my way over to Aislinn, realizing it's a bad idea when the floor splits from underneath my feet, cracking right down the middle, and permanently separating us.