Chapter Sixteen: This Isn't Goodbye

I'm fully prepared for the hate that's going to come from your guys after this chapter...... But uhhhh, yeah, nothing bad is gonna happen, pshhhhh. nothing at allll.....

Chapter Sixteen: This Isn't Goodbye

Derek keeps pacing back and forth, his heavily booted feet making soft sounds as they come in contact with the floor. He won't stop moving and is deliberately ignoring my attempts to get him to sit down.

"What did he want?" he asks for the millionth time.

I sigh, "If you'd just sit down and listen to me for two seconds, I'd be able to explain and then you won't have to repeat the same question over and over again."

He ignores me again and continues pacing.

I roll my eyes and walk into the kitchen, opening the fridge in a misguided attempt to distract myself.

He rounds the corner from the hallway into the kitchen and comes to a stop in front of the fridge, pausing before shooting me a look.

"What are you doing?" he asks accusingly, his eyes narrowing as he tries to look over my shoulder.

I pull a box of frozen pizza out of the freezer, "making pizza."

He shoots me another look, "why?"

I turn away from him and roll my eyes. "Because I'm hungry," I say sarcastically.

"Is your hunger really your first priority right now?" he asks, clearly annoyed.

            "Yes," I say through clenched teeth. "But it should be telling you why my father was here though I'm not really sure why it's any of your business. But that doesn't matter because you're not listening to me."

He looks at me confused, "you tried telling me?"

I throw my hands up in defeat silently before putting the pizza in the oven and facing him with my hands on my hips, "really, Derek?"

He looks at my sheepishly, "sorry I was just..."

"Too focused on your own thoughts and accusing assumptions to actually listen to what I have to say?" I finish for him.

He looks away from me, "sorry, you can talk now."

"You sure you're not going to interrupt me?"

He nods and sits at the kitchen table, placing his head in his hands.

I lean against the counter, playing with my hands aimlessly. "I called him and told him to come here."

Derek is about to interject when I lifted my hand to stop him. "No interrupting remember?"

"Sorry," he mutters.

"Anyways," I say, dragging the word a lot longer than I should have. "I called him because I saw his number sitting on the counter and figured he deserves a chance to explain himself."

He shoots me a look, sounding amused "that's the only reason you called him?"

"Yup," I say, popping the p

"You sure this isn't about wanting to start over with him and trying to ignore the fact that he abandoned you for eighteen years."

"Seventeen years," I correct lamely, "and no."

He smiles a sad smile, "liar."

"Don't look at me like that Derek; I'm pretty sure that you're the one that told me to give him a chance to begin with, and now that I have you're all pissed off about it."