Chapter Thirty-Four: His Plan

"Started to wonder how long it would take you to figure it out," Malum says, a smirk appearing on his face as he starts to chuckle, "it was quite funny actually, watching you and your stupid little friends run around coming up with theories. And the best part was that you thought you were doing an amazing job of keeping it from me."

I approach him slowly, no longer sure how he's going to react as I swallow the bile threatening to come out of my mouth.

"Why would you do this?" I ask him, "Why did you keep it from me?"

His head snaps in my direction, "keep it from you? You were the one that's been lying to me for months; walking around thinking you could manage school, your pathetic excuse of a social life, the threats you were being given, your absentee grandparents, all while maintaining a relationship with your father."

I shake my head, "you're not my father. I don't know who you are, but I know you're not the person I met on my doorstep months ago."

He starts to laugh loudly, bending over to catch his breath, "you're unbelievable, did you know that? This is me. You think that you're perception is right all the time? It's not. I'm physically presenting myself in front of you, yet you still seem to be in denial of what you're seeing."

I wasn't sure what I was seeing, but I don't tell him that.

My eyes start to water as I swallow the lump in my throat, "what's the purpose of all this? Why are you doing this? I don't get it."

"It's rather simple actually," he says. "Immortality is not something that should be treated as a joke; you and Derek aren't capable of understanding how special you are. Instead, you just sit around and complain about your life while wondering what you can do to be normal," he snorts.

"I didn't create you so you could be a selfish brat." He shakes his head. "This whole time, it's been me. I've been doing everything; from the threats, to the accidents, to blocking your mother from getting through to you. It was all me, it was right in front of your faces the whole time, but you were all too busy worrying about being normal to see how much you were destroying with every breath you took and every clue you let go unnoticed."

He shrugs, "it's mostly your fault Skylar, you were oblivious for months; you thought I came to town to get to know you. I've slipped up so many times, at one point, it just became a game, to see if you would catch on... but you just let it slide every time. It was like you wanted to find an excuse for everything I did wrong, like you didn't want to believe what you already knew."

"I don't understand," I tell him, trying to appear calm, "You played me for months; telling me all these lies and making me believe you were the father I had always wanted. You fought your way into my life and got into my head, and then you used my knowledge to manipulate me. You knew exactly what my weakness was, and you used it to your advantage, why?"

He rolls his eyes, "listen to yourself. You're a selfish brat, that's all you've been since the first day I met you. Complaining and judging and centring yourself in everything. You're using something that has nothing to do with you and turning into something to do with you. News flash, the world does not revolve around you like you think it does."

"What are you talking about?" I ask in disgust, feeling slightly ridiculous to be standing there in a frilly white dress. "The only reason you know as much as you do is because you manipulated me; that's what it all comes down to in the end."

"What it comes down to?" he asks, laughing, "that's hilarious. You think my plan this whole time was to get close to you just so I could kill you?" He shakes his head, sighing in mock-sadness. "You were merely just a small piece in the puzzle. I needed you to trust me so I could get close enough to read your mind and see what was going on. The rest doesn't have anything to do with you."