Chapter Twenty-Two: An Unreachable Future (Skylar)

Double update coolcool

Chapter Twenty Two: An Unreachable Future (SKYLAR)

Going out for dinner with Malum was probably a bad decision from the second that it happened. I saw the look on Derek's face when he asked me, I was aware of the warning bells flashing in my mind, but I chose to ignore both.

And I can't help but think if I had just listened to what my gut was trying to tell me, maybe things would've gone differently.

When Derek and Aislinn left in her car, I headed straight inside and stopped dead in my tracks.

My grandparents were home, and staring accusingly at Malum.

"Where have you been?" I ask, skipping the pleasantries.

"Around," my grandmother says vaguely.

"You guys have been gone for two days. I started wondering if you were coming back."

My grandmother's face softens. She doesn't say anything, but she doesn't have to. I already know she was going to say just by seeing the expression on her face.

They were always going to come back for me.

"We've been trying to find some information that could help you, with, you know, the thing that you needed help with." My grandmother says and I fight the urge to roll my eyes.

Horrible liars, all of them.

My father raises his eyebrow at us, clearly aware of the fact that she was hiding something.

"What is he doing here?" my grandmother asks, her voice filled with mistrust and she stares at me with a look of disgust in her eyes.

I shake my head slightly, but Malum just smiles. "I'm going to be accompanying Skylar to dinner tonight if that's okay."

My grandmother is about to interject when my grandfather gently places his hand on her arm, instantly silencing her when he notices the pleading look I shoot at both of them.

"What time will you be home?" she asks harshly.

I shrug, shifting my weight from foot to foot as I try to figure out a way to escape this horribly awkward conversation.

"Not too late," Malum reassures her, which only seems to upset her more.

She's about to say something when I interrupt her, not caring about getting ready anymore. "Okay! Well we should be going."

I motion for Malum to follow me out the door and stop to shoot a glare at both of them.

"Just a little bit of support would be nice," I ground out, my fists clenched at my sides.

"We're trying honey," she says quietly, waiting until my father has walked out the door before placing her hand on mine and giving it a light squeeze.

"Try harder," I snap, not feeling guilty when her hand falls back to her side.

"We just don't want you to get hurt," my grandmother whispers. "The person that killed your mom is still out there, we can't risk getting close to anyone. We don't tru-"

I cut her off, "don't say it. Please don't say. I've already got Derek breathing down my neck; he has enough mistrust inside of him for all of us."

I don't give them the chance to respond, just turn on my heel and walk outside, the door slamming behind me.

Malum is waiting for me in the car and I'm about to get in when something catches my attention and I stop in my tracks.

He's sitting with his head turned towards the window, holding his phone to his ear and talking so intently that he doesn't see me enter.