Chapter Three: The Truth

Happy Tuesday readers! 

Song: Worry by The Vamps (I had this playing as I uploaded lol)

Chapter Three: The Truth

My grandmother looks at me stunned as the cup slips from her hand and lands on the floor, causing it to shatter in a million pieces at her feet. She stares at me blankly and in silence, her eyes wide.

A couple of seconds later, my grandfather-the man who always seemed like a father to me, and now whom I couldn't even look in the face- bursts through the back door, looking worried. His gaze shifts to the floor where the pieces of the shattered cup are scattered everywhere. His questioning gaze shifts from my grandmother, to me and then back to my grandmother.

She gives him some kind of warning glance and he nods his head in understanding, "So it's time."

I look at them, confused, "time?" I exclaim, tired of their lies and secrecy "time for what? Guys what's going on?"

"Byron..." my grandmother said, her voice baring a certain tone of warning that she never had to use before.

"Amarie she deserves to know the truth, it's been kept from her for too long," my grandfather says, his tone matching hers.

"But she's too young," she protests, "she's not ready."

I roll my eyes in annoyance, "she is also standing right beside you so maybe you should stop talking about her like she's not in the room."

My grandmother sighs, "Skylar, honey, can you please sit."

"Will someone please tell me what's going on?" I say in frustration and an unknown fear.

"We will, just please sit."

I walk cautiously towards to chair and sit in it slowly, and for the first time in my life, I have the strangest feeling that I'm no longer safe in the only place I've ever felt the most secure,"both of you need to start talking now."

My grandmother takes a deep breath, "Skylar, we both want you to know that what we're about to tell you isn't going to change the way we see you. You need to understand that sometimes, some things are too broken to be fixed, and when it comes to you mother, you need to understand that-"

I cut her off, "listen, I don't wanna hear another your mom was a lost cause before anyone knew it bull-shit. She was never psycho, she didn't leave me because she didn't want me, you guys made me to believe that," before they can cut in and tell me otherwise I stop them, "and don't tell me you did it for me and out of the kindness of your hearts because I'm so over feeling sorry for everything. You lead me to believe that it was my fault that she left. My mother was never some kind of sick person and if you think you can sugar-coat what actually happened, you should probably think again."

I scowl at them, "I refuse to sit in this chair and listen to both of you tell me the same lies that I've been listening to my whole life. You know just as much as I do that my life is about to crash and burn, and this time, I'm bringing all of you down with me. I may not even understand what's happening to me, but that's not going to change anything. Whatever is coming for us is coming a lot faster than you guys expected, and if I don't know what's going on, no one is going to live to tell the story. So if you guys don't start telling me the truth, from the beginning, I swear to god, I'll pack up my bags and figure it out for myself. I figure that's what my mother planned to do, before she got killed, right?

Tears sting in my eyes but I refuse to let them fall. "So I don't want to hear anymore broken promises and lies, I've been listening to them-believing them-my entire life. I'm done talking about a future that I may not be able to have and I'm done worrying about not disappointing you guys with my far from average way of thinking. I'm so over feeling sorry for myself, and you should too."