Chapter Twenty-Nine: Under The Surface

double update bcs i'm cool;)

Chapter Twenty-Nine: Under The Surface

You're not good enough.

Punch.

You push away everyone that tries to get close to you. Why?

Punch.

I'm done trying to figure you out.

Punch. Punch.

You're going to lose everyone you care about.

Punch. Punch. Punch.

I gasp, breathing in large amounts of air as sweat beads down my face and I try to block Aidenn's punches, in sync with the negative thoughts whose slaps sting just the same.

We've been in his training facility for three hours and although I couldn't say I was as good as him, I thought I'd been making some progress.

I hold my hands up to tell him that I need a break.

Aidenn opens his mouth to speak but I cut him off smoothly, "if you're going to ask me about the chakras again, don't bother because I'm not telling you."

He scoffs, "I wasn't going to ask that."

I shoot him a look as I bend down to grab my bottle of water and take a sip from it.

He huffs, "okay maybe I was," I smirk in triumph but he cuts me off before I can say anything else.

"But," he says, pointing a finger in my face, "who cares if I was. You need to know."

I narrow my eyes, "Yeah, I need to know, because it's my chakra and no one else's business. Stay out of it, get yourself involved and you're going to wind up getting hurt."

"I can take care of myself," Aidenn points out stubbornly, pouting as he crosses his arms over his chest.

I shrug, "I never said you couldn't. I just don't think you should be stressing about stuff that has nothing to do with you."

He motions for me to get up and we continue training. "I'm interested okay? You're the only person out of all of us that hasn't figured it out yet and I can't understand why. It's like every time I try to get a read off you, something's blocking me from getting in."

"Yeah," I say, directing a punch at his throat which he smoothly dodges, "it's called personal space."

He shakes his head in confusion, slicking a hand through his sweaty hair. "No, it's... it's something else. It's like someone is putting some kind of protection over you. And I know you're not doing it because you're just as confused as I am."

"Look," I say, successfully dodging one of his punches to my heart quickly and instinctively.

"No one is putting a hex on my subconscious, I just don't know what it is yet. And besides, just being in here proves that I'm already in some kind of danger." I take a breath, "I just need some more time. I know what I'm doing."

"You better," he warns me, "because if you slow us down in any way, we're leaving you behind. You need to figure it out or else you're going to end up dead and we're going to have to deal with a heartbroken Derek for the rest of our lives and I'm, quite frankly not very fond of doing that."