You're so fucking simple

Brad woke to the sound of beeping. It wasn't a high pitched beep like an alarm clock, but rather a dull and whiney one. Brad turned his head to the side to see Tristan in the bed across the room, rubbing sleep out of his drooping blue eyes.
Brad hadn't been awake when Tristan had come back to the room and was not expecting him to be there, but chose not to comment as he didn't see the purpose of talking about it.

"What instruction does the bell give?" he asked Tristan, who grunted 'get up' back in Brad's direction. The brunette climbed out of bed and made it neatly behind him. "Are we required to change?" Brad asked Tristan, who shook his head. "Am I right in assuming we are going for breakfast?"

"Bloody hell, shut up! It's eight in the morning, leave me the fuck alone!" Tristan snapped, before stomping out of the room. Brad quickly followed, not knowing where he was meant to be going so standing still in the corridor, looking down both ways. Brad noticed that Tristan had already walked off so he couldn't ask the blonde for anymore instructions.

He was about to go back into the room and sit on his bed to wait for instructions when James approached him from down the hallway. "Morning Brad"

"Good morning James." Brad was about to correct James on his name, when he remembered that James had a speech impediment and couldn't actually say Bradley.

At least, he thought so.

"Are you coming to breakfast?" James asked Brad, who tilted his head to the side slightly.

"Is that where I'm required to be?" Brad asked. James nodded slowly, frowning. "Then yes, I shall be attending breakfast"

"Great. Let's go" James and Brad started walking down the corridor, silence enveloping the two. Brad didn't feel the need to talk, however James felt pretty awkward and quite nervous as he didn't really know Brad yet. "So, what are you here for?" James asked the brunette, fiddling with the hem of his top as he did.

"I cannot say" Brad replied truthfully.

"Why, that bad?" James joked, but felt his stomach start to churn with anxiousness.

"No, I simply do not know" Brad replied, causing James' face to set into a firm frown.

How could someone be in a rehabilitation centre and have no idea why they're there?

James slowed so he wasn't walking next to Brad, feeling anxious being around a person who had no idea what was wrong with them and therefore didn't know anything about controlling it, whatever it was.

What if he gets angry like Tristan?! James panicked What if he has random outbursts that get so bad that he can't remember them?!

Brad, who had noticed James' missing presence beside him, turned back to see the boy stood in the middle of the corridor, breath shaky, forehead sweaty as his eyes fixed firmly on the ground about a meter in front of his feet.

"James, will you not be attending breakfast?" Brad asked, entirely clueless to what was happening. When James didn't reply, Brad turned and walked into the breakfast hall. He'd been instructed to get breakfast, so he figured that's what he should do.

If in doubt - follow the instructions.

James remained frozen in the corridor, his hand now on the wall for support as he doubled over slightly, his chest heaving as he tried to breathe.

I made Brad angry. He left. He hates me. He wants me to be gone. Oh god, he wants to hurt me.

The tall boy only snapped out of his thoughts when a small, cold, pale hand slipped into his large, hot, clammy one and gave it a slight squeeze. James snapped his head to the side to see Connor stood beside him, a worried expression on his face and his bright blue eyes asking 'are you okay?'.