Basics of all human emotion

Dear diary.

Today I had corn flakes for breakfast. I did not drink the orange juice I was served.

I then had two morning sessions with Doctor Miller. The first was to take a test. That was the fifth test I have taken since the first I took. That was two weeks ago. The second was to go over the test. I got thirteen out of twenty. Doctor Miller stated that I had risen by five marks since my first test, which was something I should be proud of. I do not understand how to be 'proud'.

For lunch I had a chicken and mayonnaise sandwich with three tomatoes and five slices of cucumber. I also had two glasses of water.

After lunch I was instructed by Doctor Miller to start reading 'The Fault In Our Stars' by 'John Green'. According to Doctor Miller, I have to start reading fictional novels to help me develop emotions. I got to page 78 of the book.

At dinner I had Lasagna with sweetcorn. I drank the blackcurrant squash I was served. I spoke to James. He informed me that Connor had not stopped pretending to be 'Davey' for longer than normal. This caused his nurses to be concerned about him, and to take him to his doctor. This meant that Connor did not come to dinner. Tristan said he was 'worried'. I asked Tristan if that was an emotion. He agreed.

Goodbye, diary.

~Bradley.

Although Brad had finished writing in his diary at half nine and was ready to go to sleep at twenty-to, he found himself awake at 1am, being questioned by none other than his roommate, Tristan. Honestly, Brad didn't know why Tristan had gained a sudden curiosity in him in the past couple of weeks, however he overlooked it and focused on the questions Tristan was asking.

"So do you remember ever laughing?" Tristan questioned.

"No" Brad replied, rather bluntly.

"Smiling?"

"No"

"Crying?" Tristan raised an eyebrow. Surely he must have hurt himself and cried, or cried over something stupid when he was younger.

"No. Should I remember doing these actions?" Brad asked, frowning.

"Well... yeah. Normal people smile, laugh and cry all the time, it's the basics of all human emotions" Tristan explained, causing Brad to mutter an 'oh'. "Can you remember feeling any emotion at all?"

"I regret to inform you Tristan that I cannot answer that, simply because I would not know what being emotional felt like" Brad announced to Tristan, who hummed and looked down at the floor.

Why does Brad say 'I regret to inform you' if he doesn't feel regret? It must be because of the formal way he speaks... come to think of it, why does he speak so formally? What's his problem with shortening words? I could ask Doctor Miller tomorrow, she might know.

Tristan sighed and shut his eyes, letting his hand rub at the right one. "What can you remember? The earliest memory possible." The blonde asked, looking to the brunette who was lying in his bed on his back, arms down by his sides on top of his duvet.

"The earliest memory I have is walking my dog, Jesse" Brad replied.

"Did anything happen to you that day? Anything unusual?" The taller boy questioned.

"Nothing" The shorter boy answered.

"Okay" Nothing happened to him then... Something must have happened to him a bit later. "What other early memories do you have?"