8. Tears

After flying for a while, Kris lands in a relatively secluded area. The girl had fallen asleep on his back. Zitao gently lifts her off and lays her on the ground.

"Why would you risk our freedom for some girl you don't know Z?" Luhan asks quietly, as not to wake her.

Zitao shrugs, "She was being subjected to the same, if not worse, abuse as us. If we had escaped and left her behind, I would've been eaten up with guilt."

"Whatever the reason," Kris says, falling to the ground, "We need to find somewhere to spend the night. I don't suppose either of you thought to grab their money, right?"

Zitao and Luhan shake their heads.

"But, if we find an ATM, I can get money from there. I remember my account number and his pin code," Luhan offers.

"I saw a city nearby!" Zitao says excitedly.

"If you want to go you two go," Kris mumbles, "I'm too tired. I'll stay here with the girl."

"But if they find you, neither of you will be able to fight back!" Zitao protests.

"And neither of you can go alone," Kris fires back, "The girl can't go out in public dressed like that. Even if she could, I doubt she'd be able to go far on her own..."

"What if she could?" Zitao says, pulling off the hoodie he had stolen. Underneath was a long sleeved shirt.

"It's relatively warm out, Lulu could go into the city with her wearing my hoodie and I could stay here with you!"

"She probably can't walk," Kris sighs.

"Why don't we ask her what she can or can't do?"

Luhan kneels by her and shakes her shoulder gently, "Hey, wake up."

She awakens with a start. Her eyes widen upon seeing them and she tries to scramble away.

"Hey, calm down," Luhan tells her soothingly, raising his hands, "I'm Luhan, what's your name?"

"A-autumn," she croaks. He smiles at her.

"Autumn, can you walk?"

"I think so," she whispers.

He helps pull her to her feet. She clutches his shoulder until she balances herself out.

"Listen, we need money," Luhan tells her, "There's a city nearby when I can withdraw. But I can't go alone and Zitao and I can't leave the weaker ones behind while we go. So, are you able to walk with me to go get the money and then come back?"

She hesitates, glances at Kris and Zitao, then nods. Luhan smiles again.

"Good, we have to go right now though."

He hands her the hoodie and she slips it over her head. It's a bit big, but not to bad.

"We'll get better clothes for you soon, I promise," Luhan assures, and she nods.

He leads the way and she follows, pulling the hood up.

🔹🔹🔹🔹

Autumn looks around while Luhan is making the withdrawal, watching for any of their captors. Some of the guys in the bar across the street were staring at her legs.

"Luhan, please hurry," she whispers to him.

"I'm hurrying Autumn, I'm hurrying," he whispers back. At that moment, the cash holder on the bottom begins filling with bills. He grabs them and hands a few to her. She shoves it next to her chest.