Special: Kai's Story (1st POW)

I never was one to wander off the beaten path. I'd never talk to a stranger in my entire life, I don't think. Then again, 13 years isn't a very long time when you think about it. Dad always said I thought too much, and that my life will always be boring if I never took any risks. But I thought I thought just the right amount. Risks? Made me laugh. Who on Earth would purposely put themselves in possible danger? Not that 13 year old, thank you very much.

But 13 years old is when boys really start puberty, or as my mom calls it, "the big change." Ever since she told me about the changes that were going to start happening to my body, I read every single book on the subject. I knew what was coming. Until I didn't.

Because one day I woke up on the most beautiful beach anybody could imagine. Clear blue skies, soft pink sand, perfect palm trees. Although, I didn't think it was very beautiful since I knew for a fact that I had fallen asleep in my bed.

I was, to put it lightly, freaking out for two hours before I finally conked out again. This time, when I woke up, I was in a police station in America. I didn't speak any English, still don't if I'm quite honest. So when the officers started questioning me, I panickedclosed my eyes tightly and wished I was in my bed.

And I was.

My soft blue comforter draped over my body. My only stuffed animal, Mr. Pigles, tucked under my arm. It was exactly how I had imagined it. So much so that I thought I had imagined it until I scratched my face. I was completely sunburned. It wasn't a dream.

My first stop that day was at a library to try and figure out what was wrong with me. I knew for a fact I had actually traveled the world within seconds. But none of the travel books I looked in had any information on what I had done. The only think left to do was to put the scientific method to work.

I waited until I was at my grandmother's house in the country to experiment. I had all my notes and my hypothesis in a little grey notebook. I found a field that I deemed, in my 13 year old mind, that was perfect. I started by trying to get to one end of the field to the other. According to my last experience, I needed to close my eyes and envision where I wanted to go (since I thought the beach was a dream, I still couldn't figure out America).

I stayed in the field all day. Nothing happened. I almost gave up. But I didn't. Finally, just as my mother called me for supper, I did it. I was on the other side of the field. I did it!

After doing it on purpose the first time, it was much easier to control where I went while I was awake. I still had trouble controlling my dreams but I had to take one step at a time.

Every year I visited my grandmother's. Every year I worked on my abilities. It was the last day of the last year I ever went there that I took the first risk I ever took. The one that screwed my 17 year old self over the most. I followed a crying child. The next think I knew, I had a metal wrapped around my neck. It burned so badly I screamed and tried to teleport away. But I couldn't.

I don't know how they managed to lock me up with all the fighting I was doing as they kidnapped me. I don't know how long I was kept in the basement. The other boys, Kris and Luhan, joined later. I couldn't communicate well with them, they only spoke Chinese.

One day, a boy a bit older than me came in and offered me a choice: join him or stay locked down there. I'm sure you can guess what I chose.

AN
It's been over 4 years since I published this first book in the Monster trilogy and I can't say how grateful I am for all of the support. In the Sequel part of this book, the last chapter, I thanked everyone for 2,000 reads. I am so beyond proud to be able to thank all of you for over 150 thousand reads. This is beyond what i ever imagined would happen when I joined wattpad. I hope you all enjoyed this special chapter of TMFTN. I've been experimenting with different writing styles lately, so please tell me what you think (whether u like it or not, I'm always open to constructive criticism). Again, thank you all so, so much!