19. Comfort My Enemy

A few hours later, Jongin and Chanyeol emerge from the dance room covered in sweat.

"Damn Jongin, you still haven't lost your touch," Chanyeol pants, "When was the last time you danced, four months ago, before they escaped?"

"Almost a year and a half ago," Jongin mumbles. Chanyeol glances at him, eyes wide.

"Really? But you love dancing!" Chanyeol comments.

"I've had other things to do," Jongin replies, "It's been a long year."

"You're not wrong," Chanyeol sighs.

Baekhyun comes running down the hall, excitement written on his face.

"Chanyeol, Jongin," He cries, "Come on!"

He grabs both of their wrists and drags them behind him to Kyungsoo's old room. The door was swung open and they can hear voices inside. One of them is so familiar...

Jongin rips his arm out of Baekhyun's hand and bursts into the room. He shoves the people surrounding the bed aside and attacks the person sitting up on the bed in a hug.

"Kyungsoo!" Jongin cries, tears of joy slipping out of his eyes.

The older boy pushes him away.

"Who are you?" Kyungsoo asks, a blank look in his eyes. Jongin glances at Suho and Yixing. Both are clearly shocked.

"Please tell me you're just kidding," Jongin pleads desperately, "That you're playing a cruel joke."

"Sorry kid, but I don't know who you are," Kyungsoo answers.

Jongin gets off the bed trembling. He notices the all the other boys staring at him. Some looked angry, others wore sympathetic looks. He ignores their calls as he runs back to his room.

His tears have stopped. After crying so much over the last four months, he must've finally run out. Inside he feels so empty and alone. Even more alone than when Kyungsoo was dead.

The time controller had rewinded Kyungsoo back too far. They all knew he wasn't yet powerful enough to force him forward. He never would be either.

He doesn't remember me.

That thought compels Jongin to walk to his washroom.

You betrayed them for nothing.

He thinks back. How he had apologized to Kris, Luhan, and even Zitao. How Luhan had reached down to help him up, but Jongin knocked him out while he was unsuspecting, then quickly did the same to the other two.

He pulls the knife out of the drawer and holds it to his throat.

Don't do this. You still have all the others, and even if Kyungsoo doesn't remember you, you can make new memories.

It won't be the same. I'll always live with guilt. I can't handle it anymore.

He slides the knife across his throat and drops to the floor.

"JONGIN!"

🔹🔹🔹🔹

Suho storms down to the basement and enters the room the three boys were locked in angrily. All of them were sleeping. He goes over to the youngest boy and punches him in the stomach. The tall boy wakes up with a gasp, which arouses the other two.