twenty five; alpha maybe

I sigh heavily as I shut the black car door once again, "Still don't know why you don't just tell me the details before we go charging into places,"

I look over at Derek hoping for any sign or tell of what's going on, but of course I get nothing. "Seriously, why are we at Scott's job?"

He just continues to ignore me and pushes open the front door of the animal clinic. I grimace at the high pitch jingle of the bell as we walk in.

"Scott, you're late again. I hope this isn't getting to be a habit," I hear a voice call from another room, but it's tone changes as a dark skinned man sees us. I look over his appearance assuming him to be Deaton, Scott's boss.

"Can I help you?"

Derek walks forward slightly standing in front of me. "Hope so. Want to know about the animal you found with the spiral on its side?"

Deaton gives Derek an wide eyed look and glances at me quickly before responding, "Excuse me? What animal?"

"Three months ago. The deer. You remember this?" Derek then holds up a newspaper clipping of the deer he described.

"Oh, yes. It's just a deer. And I didn't find it. They called me because they wanted to know if I'd ever seen anything like it," Deaton says calmly, but I catch something quick in his eyes.

It didn't seem like he was lying just not telling us everything.

"What'd you tell 'em?"

Deaton looks around slightly nervous before answering, "I told them no."

I notice Derek's eyes squint just the slightest, "Did you hear that? The sound of your heartbeat rising."

Deaton looks at him like he's absolutely absurd and I do the same, "Excuse me?!"

"It's the sound of you lying. Are you protecting someone?"

"Hey, Derek come on. We should just go," I pull on his arm lightly, but of course he doesn't move an inch.

Deaton's eyes flicker to me once again, but this time they linger a little longer. I catch something flicker in them once again, but Derek shifts his body in front of mine as he continues to glare at the man.

"All right. The key to the drug locker is in my pocket." Deaton reaches down to remove the key, but Derek stops him.

"I don't want drugs. I want to know why you're lying."

Deaton sighs aspirated, "I don't know what you're talking about. What are you doing to me? What do you want?"

Derek's body language completely changed and he goes rigid. I can basically feel the anger, or annoyance, emitting from him.

"I want to know who you are or who you're protecting."

I turn at the sound of another familiar voice, "What are you doing?"

Deaton looks worriedly to the boy behind me before he yells, "Scott, get out of here!"

I move back as Derek uses his strength to knock the veterinarian unconscious.

Scott rushes over to assist his now injured boss, "Stop! Stop!"

"Derek, what the hell?" I say watching the scene in front of me.

"Look, when he's conscious, he can keep himself healing, but unconscious, he can't."

Scott looks up at him like he has three heads, "Are you out of your mind? What are you talking about?"

"You want to know what the spiral means, Scott? It's our sign for a vendetta, for revenge. It means he won't stop killing until he's satisfied." I look at the picture of the deer with the spiral carved in it again piecing together Derek's train of thought.

I feel like light bulb go off in my head and I look down at Deaton again, "Wait, you think he's the Alpha?"

Derek stares down at the unconscious man again, "We're about to find out."

Oh boy.