forty five; trying to be the hero

I lift up my phone as it continuously rings. I feel my eyebrows come together in confusion as Scott's name pops up on the screen. I quickly hit the green answer button and lift it to my ear, "Hel-"

"Derek's going to kill Jackson! You need to help, please Abby help me."

I feel my breath catch in my throat as the words tumble out fastly from the other line. I shake my head trying to let what he just said sink in, "Okay, slow down. Are you sure he's going to kill him? Like to death?"

"Yes, yes! They're at the Hale house right now, Peter basically spelled it out for me. I'm going there now, but you're closer. You can stop Derek, Abby."

"How the hell am I going to stop him? The man's basically a brick building!" I hear his breathing pick up on the other line and realize he must be running to the house.

"Trust me, if any of us can, you can." I sigh deeply and close my eyes. I can never have one uneventful night.

➳➳➳➳

I curse silently as I drive directly into the preserve and follow the makeshift road to the burned down home. Why am I risking my life to save an ass like Jackson? Who fricking knows because I sure don't. I hate being the hero sometimes.

I sigh relieved as the house comes into view and I slam on my breaks, parking on the side yard. I exit my car so fast, I'm pretty sure I'm literally flying and I march up the front steps. If Derek didn't hear me pull up, he sure knows I'm here now. I can only hope that he at least hesitates before killing me if it comes to that.

I hear Jackson's slightly raspy voice as I reach the partly open front door, "N-no!"

I push myself through the front door and notice Jackson's eyes immediately jump to me and he lets out a relived sigh. I blink rapidly as I notice a few stray tears have fallen on his cheeks and his eyes are full of raw fear. Since moving here, this is the first time I've seen him vulnerable.

Then, quickly, I move my sights to Derek who, as always, stands intimidatingly in front of him. His eyes narrow on me and I can't help, but inhale quickly. I notice a certain look in his eyes, but before I can figure it out, it disappears.

"Don't kill him," My voice is light and I almost don't recognize it as mine own. "Don't do it."

He shakes his head and his eyes bounce back to Jackson before returning to me, "Give me one reason why I shouldn't."

I inhale sharply at the sound of his deep and powering voice being directed at me before letting my eyes fall to the terrified boy behind him. I slowly shake my head trying to think of one reason, one simple reason to why he shouldn't straight up murder Jackson.

"The same reason why I wouldn't ever try to hurt you," After the words leave my mouth I wish I can suck them right back up into my lungs. I wish I can unhear myself speak them, but I can't. Derek's eyes squint in the slightest amount and if I wasn't staring directly at them, I would have missed it. "I have plenty of reasonable excuses to. You're a werewolf and my entire family has committed their lives to literally killing them. But have I ever tried to? No. Since the moment I met you, that thoughts never crossed my mind."

I slowly creep myself towards him and take it as a good sign when he doesn't move away. I place my hand on his forearm and squeeze lightly. I open my mouth to, hopefully, end this before it can even begin, but the sound of the floor creaking behind him removes his attention from me. He removes his arm from my grasp and turns to see Jackson trying to get away.

I sigh disappointed and close my eyes briefly. Jackson's eyes widen in fear realizing he's caught before he raises his hands, "Please, you can't do this! Please! I-I don't deserve it."

Derek's eyes grow slightly more angry as Jackson's words, "Look around you! Wouldn't there be someone here trying to save you? There's no one here. There is a reason. No one cares that you drive an expensive car. No one cares that you have perfect hair, and no one cares that you're captain of the lacrosse team."

I resist the urge to raise my hand and point out that, technically, I am here for Jackson. Although deep down inside I know that I'm really here for Derek, more than I would ever be here for Jackson. Derek would regret killing the almost innocent kid in front of him and I don't want him to live with that guilt, not if he doesn't have to.

I jump at the familiar sound of Scott's voice, "Excuse me. Co-captain." I slowly move back as Scott jumps from the top of the stairs, landing directly between a petrified Jackson and a pissed off Derek. He slowly lifts his head and my blue eyes meet his golden ones as he changes.

Derek lets out a deep growl as he quickly changes too, challenging Scott, "Move!"

Scott growls and slowly stands from his crouched position, "No." I let a sad breath leave my body, the last thing I want is to watch the two in front of me fight it out.

Derek shrugs his shoulders defiantly, while letting out a low growl, "Fine. I'll kill you too."

They both move to attack each other, but stop at an unusual sound. I look to my left to see an arrow implanted into the door, inches away from me. I notice the familiar arrow head and my eyes widen drastically, "Derek, Scott, cover your eyes, now!"

I let out a gasp as arms wrap around my waist and I'm brought to the ground. I cover my ears right before a small and bright explosion goes off to our right. Gun shots shortly follow and before I now it I'm being pulled next to the wall in the old living room. I lift my head up and all I can see his Derek's chest. I turn my head to the left and let out a concerned cry.

Scott gets caught in the cross fire as he tries to cover his eyes from the bright lights and bullets fly through him. I notice an all too familiar blue smoke raise from one of his wounds as he starts to cough out a dark looking blood. I feel Derek's chest vibrate as he yells out, "Scott, go! Run!"

I push myself up from his chest and blink rapidly as my heart beat quickens, "If I leave, can you promise not to die? Please?"

He stares at me silently and nods his head before lifting me to stand with him. I ignore the tingles that are left on my waist from his hands and I rush over to Scott, pulling his arm around my neck. I use all my strength and lift his body up before I start walking to the back of the house. I turn back once last time and feel heat rush up my neck when I realize Derek's eyes were still on me. I watch him for a second longer before doing my best to pull Scott to safety.