forty three; finding less than the truth

I groan as I hear a repeated knocking on my bedroom door. I roll over, keeping my eyes closed, and sigh as it finally stops. I peak out to see the red glowing numbers on my alarm clock reading '1:43 A.M'. I close my eyes again and wrap the thick comforter around my body and try to fall back asleep.

Knock, knock, knock.

I inhale deeply and throw the blanket off myself, before standing and marching over to the door. I rip it open, glaring with tired eyes, only to see Allison standing there. Her eyes stay connected to floor and her arms are wrapped tightly around herself. I raise my eyebrow in surprise.

"What's up, Al?" I ask he quietly while leaning my tired body against the door frame. Her eyes snap up to mine and I can see a bit of worry in them.

"Have you seen my necklace? The one Aunt Kate gave me?" I feel my own eyes widen just slightly at her words.

Yeah, your ex-boyfriend, my best friend, has it because it's somehow linked to the alpha. Who, by the way, is Derek's supposed to be comatose burnt uncle and he's just walking around in the night killing everyone.

"No, I haven't seen it. Sorry," I shrug and she looks sighs disappointed before nodding. "I can uh, help you find it. If you want."

She suddenly smiles at me and I can't help but return it. It's felt like ages since she's talked to me and I can't help, but miss my sister. "Yeah, actually that would be really great. I might have left it in my car, we can check there first."

She turns and moves towards the stairs and I sigh again, "I meant in the morning, but yeah now works too," I mumble grabbing the big cardigan I always leave by my door before following her. We both silently march down the stairs and head to the garage door.

"I know I had it a few days ago, but with everything going on I didn't even realize I wasn't wearing it."

I nod and open the door letting her go in first, "Well, I'm sure we'll find it, don't worry." She smiles at me again before jogging over to her car. She opens the driver door and I open the passenger and climb inside. I carelessly start looking through her things, knowing the necklace won't be here. But if pretending to look for her necklace means Allison is talking to me again, I will sit here all night and look. I raise my head quickly at the sound of the garage opening before hitting Allison's arm.

Suddenly her head pops up too and we both share a look before quickly shutting both of our doors. We simultaneously recline our seats and lower our heads.

I feel my heartbeat accelerate at the sound of my dad's voice, "It hasn't been an issue since we lived here."

I duck down as far as I can when I see Kate walk into the garage, "All I'm saying is that firing those things so close by is bound to draw some attention."

I raise my eyebrow suspiciously as dad throws something down on the workbench, "These things have saved my life more than once, and I know how to be inconspicuous when I need to."

Specialized arrowheads.

I shut my eyes tightly hoping that neither of them will say something to make Allison suspicious. She turns to me and silently raises a confused eyebrow. I shake my head in false confusion as well and she turns back as Kate starts talking, "This coming from a man whose preferred weapon is a crossbow. You know these extra skills are something you could be teaching Allison."

Dad looks back at Kate with a sigh and shakes his dead defiantly, "Not yet."

Kate looks at him with hopeful eyes, "Ever? Because you started with Abby years ago. I especially don't understand that choice, I mean if you were picking the stronger of the two you weren't-"

Dad stops and turns to point at Kate with finality, "That's enough," He turns back to the house before he sighs and lifts his head slightly, "You coming?"

I ignore the slight sting from Kate's words as I continue to spy on the two from inside the care.

I watch as Kate looks directly to the car before discreetly placing something on the table, "Yeah, I'm coming."

I sigh relieved as the door closes behind them, but before I can udder a word, Allison is leaving the car. "Allison, wait!" I whisper yell as I rip open my door and follow her over. I stop moving when I see her looking at a piece of metal in her hands.

Explosive arrow heads, great.

She slowly turns to me, "What was Aunt Kate talking about? What has dad started with you? What are these?" I stare at her as the questions continue to tumble out of her mouth. There is no good lie to tell her, so I know I have to at least give her a little of the truth.

I look at the weapons in her hands and slowly take them, "He trains with me. He showed me how to shoot and hunt, but I kind of realized it's not really my thing," I shrug and place the arrowheads back onto the table. "He probably just doesn't want to force you into anything like he has with me."

"Hunting? That's it?" She stares at me with squinted eyes, and even though the suspicion decreased I can see it linger there.

I nod silently and she seems to accept my answer, thankfully.

I mean, part of what I'm saying is the truth at least.