thirty seven; an old 'friend'?

I pull out my running clothes and quickly change into them. I've had enough stress and frustration from the past week and I'm in desperate need of a run. I redo my bun and tie it tight before grabbing the hidden pocket knife from my sock drawer and slip into my waistband. I leave my room and head for the stairs, but stop when I hear Kate's voice. I slowly and silently walk over to Allison's room listening in and hearing her as well.

"Okay. Well, what's our helpless victim's name?" Kate laughs lightly and I hear Allison join her.

"Mr. Bear." I can imagine the exact stuffed bear they are referring to and even the little jacket he wears. I peak in the door and the sight in front of me makes my heart nearly stop beating.

Kate sighs in fake disappointment, "You named your Teddy Bear Mr. Bear? That's, like, the worst Teddy Bear name in the world."

Allison rolls her eyes, "I was five years old and Abby's the one who reassured me it was a good name."

I watch as Allison stands next to Kate, taser in hand, aiming it at the teddy bear sitting in front of her. I stop myself from walking in and and questioning the scene. Kate was up to something and I am going to get to the bottom of it. There's no way my dad knows about this because the one thing we have ever agreed on, is keeping Allison out of hunting.

I glare as Kate smiles again while pointing at the teddy bear, "All right, well, just shoot your unimaginatively named bear and put it out of its misery." I turn away from the two at the sound of the taser being shot and quickly run down the stairs. The sadness hanging around me since that night at the school soon turns into anger as I think of Kate. She has no right to start introducing Allison into this world, no matter how much she wants too. I grab my keys from the table and rush out to the car in the driveway.

➳➳➳➳

I continue to run even though every breath feels like fire in my chest. I push myself as hard as I can as I continue to move between trees and over branches. The sun is starting to set, meaning I need to leave soon before the full moon reaches the sky. With the alpha on the loose I'm not taking any chances, plus I need to help Stiles with Scott. I start to slow down as I feel my head getting lighter from my lack of air, but before I notice the large branch protruding from the ground, my foot gets caught on it.

I turn my body so I don't land on my face, but the impact with the ground isn't a pleasant one. I hiss in pain and look down to see the branch ripped through my leggings and cut my right leg. It thankfully isn't a deep cut, but a long one, reaching from my ankle to the side of my knee. I groan in annoyance before lightly touching the cut. I hiss again as it starts to bleed. I stand and realize it might be a little worse than I thought. It is going to be a struggle making it back to my car. I roll my eyes at my own stupidity and start moving in that direction. I lean on any passing tree and try to keep the pressure off my right leg.

After ten minutes I look up to see the sun almost set and I grumble annoyed. I lean against a tree and inhale deeply. Feeling the hairs on the back of my neck stand suddenly, I quickly stand up straight. The feeling of being watched falls over me and I limp away from the tree, taking in my surroundings. As I turn I feel my breath catch in my throat.

In all it's burnt glory, stands the Hale house right smack in front of me. I didn't even notice running by it the first time I came this way. I swallow realizing the feeling from before is gone.

Probably just the house itself.

I look back up at the sun and notice the world around me is starting to lack sunlight. I turn back to the house and start moving towards it. I feel a pang of some type of feeling in my chest as the thought of meeting Derek here in the past runs through my head. Before I realize it, I've managed to limp to the front steps, or what's left of them. I painfully start moving up them and to the front door.

Please don't let me turn out to be the stupid girl in the horror movie.

I lay my hand on the handle of the front door before slowly pushing it open. It creaks and I roll my eyes at the sound, "Of course you'd be the loudest door on freaking earth."

I continue to push it open before stepping inside. I close it behind me and lean against it for support.

I look down at my leg and notice it's starting to turn red and slightly swell. I draw my eyebrows together in pain, but before I can inspect it more I hear a creak from a few feet in front of me, in the living room.

Acting on instinct and training I immediately whip out my knife and open it. I hold it in front of me, on guard, as I start to slowly move through the house. As I walk I miss any creaky spots I know of and keep my eyes trained on my surroundings. I press myself against the wall next to the opening leading into what was once the living room.

I take a deep breathe before turning and coming face to face with a chest. I quickly reach out and slash out my knife before hearing a familiar grunt and a hand enclosed my wrist. I immediately freeze at the sound and step back from the person in front of me. I feel my eyes grow wide and I take another step away and my back meets the wall behind me.

How is he...I don't understand how he's...he's dead.

"Derek?"