fifty; where life was changed

I stand behind the closed front door and try to swallow my fear. I can feel Peter's breath on the back of my neck as my own comes out in short puffs. He grabs the back of my neck and I hold my breath, letting my eyes close, waiting for his next move. My eyes suddenly snap open at the sound of a familiar voice, that I haven't heard in days.

Derek.

I let an airy laugh at the sound and can't stop myself from feeling relived. He's alive, at least for now.

"Don't be too relieve, sweetheart. You'll never guess who else has come to join our little party."

Peter's voice is just above a whisper as he pushes my body over to the window next to the door. I feel my eyes start to sting as I see the last person I would have wished to be here. Allison stands in front of Scott, with her bow raised in her hands.

I see Kate walking up behind her with a prominent smirk on her lips, "Thank God. Now, shoot him before I have to shoot myself." She rolls her eyes pathetically and the sight of her makes my blood boil.

Al turns back to Kate and although I can't see her face I hear the disbelief and confusion in her voice, "You-you said we were just gonna catch them."

I hold in a scream of panic as Peter grips the back of my shirt and moves back to the front door. He grabs the handle roughly, but before he opens it, his mouth moves next to my ear, "Now it's your time to shine. Do what you do best and control the chaos. I'll be back." I struggle in his grip, but before I can get out he rips open the door and throws my body out.

I wrap my arms around my head as I tumble down the front steps and land on the hard ground. I hear Allison move slightly causing the leaves beneath her feet to crunch, "Abby?"

I groan lightly and roll onto my back before coughing roughly. I look up to the dark sky and cough again as I try to regain my breath. I take in a deep inhale before getting up to my knees, then finally, my feet. I stumble in place for a second before blinking away the blurriness in my vision. I look at Allison to see a look mixed between hurt, confusion, and worry on her face. My eyes move to Kate and I hold my breath as I notice an all too familiar bow in her hands.

She smirks at me and cocks an eyebrow, "I wasn't sure if you would be making an appearance. Did you get my text? It was rude for you not to answer."

I send her a blank stare as I ignore the growing pain in my back, "Yeah, I got it." She moves towards me and I stand my ground. Her eyes trace my body before she stops a few feet away.

"You need to make a choice, once and for all. Your family, or the monsters hunting us," I gulp at her words and let my eyes fall to Scott. He's laying on the ground, just a few feet away. The pain on his face is both emotional and physical and it causes emotion to stir within me.

My heart pangs as I see this guy, who somehow has caused me to care for him like the brother I've never had, looking so lost and being forced to face death in the face. I blink away the wetness in my eyes before letting them rest on the other man even farther from me. Derek's eyes catch mine and the distance makes him seem like he's a world away. I take notice of the broken off arrows protruding from his shoulder and thigh.

I feel my eyebrows grow closer as I watch him, and for the first time since I've met him, his eyes have a pleading look in them. Though his face stays almost emotionless, his eyes show so much more pain and hurt than I could ever take. I finally look to Allison and see that her eyes are already on me. She watches me, waiting for my next move and I know that whatever I choose, she will follow me.

I know what I have to do.

I slowly nod and look back to Kate, stretching out my hand before her, "My family."