Chapter Nine- Lia's Story

Lia's POV

I unraveled pretty much my whole life story to Harry.

"My dad died when I was only five. Mom remarried shortly after I turned seven, and my stepdad made me start calling him 'Dad' or 'Daddy'. As I got older I hated it because I knew he wasn't really my Daddy, or what a real Daddy was supposed to be. When I was eight, he started throwing me around a bit, then Mom. It got worse. Eventually, he would threaten Mom until she hit me. She would always apologise after, saying she did it because she loved me and didn't want neither of us to be hurt or killed.

"When I was ten, my stepdad let me go to a Vacation Bible School at a church down the street that summer. I became a Christian, and life got easier. I felt stronger and began to fight back and resist. My stepdad noticed, and he began to try to restore fear in me. He would be gone for days, then stagger home drunk and beat me black and blue. I admit, I had the fear of him restored in me, but part of me doesn't care and I still fight back most of the time.

"Soon, my biggest fear was if Mom was home or not when I woke up. The beatings didn't hurt near as bad; mostly because I'm stronger than her and she tries to go easy on purpose. I learned that my stepdad threatened BOTH our lives if she didn't beat me. It was then when I realised she really did still love me. It got to the point that she would get drunk, too, and leave for days. It was just me and my stepdad when that happened. It happened the other day.

"Now I'm surprised I'm here, and I haven't seen my stepdad or heard from him or Mom. My stepdad put a ban on friends, but he likes Jessica and Maggie, so that's why he said I could come with them, I think."

Harry stared at me, his mouth in the shape of an "O". He sprang to life and wrapped me in a hug. "Oh my gosh, Lia," he said, his voice catching as he tried not to cry, "That's so sad. It's good you became a Christian though." He pulled back. "Oh!" Harry said in realisation, "That's why you girls didn't really party! That's why you said it's not your thing!" I nodded. "Yeah, pretty much. And the nightmares are always of him screaming derogatory stuff at me, putting me down, calling me names, telling me I'm not worthy. When I became a Christian, I knew none of that was true."

"Really?" Harry asked. I nodded and quoted John 3:16: For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, so that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

"I began to pray and think and read the Bible with an open mind and heart. But once my stepdad noticed the change in me, he took away my Bible and forbid me to go to any church with anyone. The Bible says to obey our parents. God knew my heart and mind, so I realised that I must obey my mom and stepdad."

"That takes guts, Lia, and an enormous strength." I shrugged. "Like I said, I prayed. A lot. And through that I began to find strength in God."

We were both silent for a moment, then he said, "Is it okay if we just chill in here? I really don't feel like partying." I looked at him and shook my head. "Harry, I'm not saying I'll approve, but this is your scene. It's your life. Don't let my feelings and history get in the way of your good time." I knew if he stayed, I'd feel guilty, like I'd bummed him out. But he shook his head. "It's not that," he insisted, "I would just rather be with you than anyone else right now."