One Door Closes

"I just don't understand," whined Logan, a tall, lanky kid with blonde hair and brown eyes, "You traveled all the way to England and got to shadow THE Harry Potter...and you want a no-maj job?!" The red headed girl by him nodded, her green eyes gleamed as she scrunched up her nose. I smiled as I looked at the two, enjoying the fact that Logan was basically twice the size of Mariam.

     "I don't understand it either," Mariam said, looking up to Logan, "Must be the Thunderbird in her." I flashed them a smile as we walked towards the castle.

     "I don't expect you guys to understand," I said, "But I feel like my magic could be useful with this job." Mariam picked up her pace, her legs working double time as she caught up with me. The warm wind blew past us, making our blue and red robes dance around us. I gripped my books closer to my chest.

      She huffed, "Kiya, you do realize how much of a future you could have in the wizarding world, right?"

      I nodded, "Yes and those opportunities will still be there. So why not try something else?" Mariam rolled her eyes at me, eventually letting a smile cross her lips.

      "I wish I could have that much sense of adventure," she said.

      "Adventure," asked Logan, "I wish I could have her confidence!" I shook my head at the two.

      "Guess that's why the Thunderbird chose me," I stated, thinking about my first time arriving. Stepping into the circular hall and standing amongst the sorting statues. It was nerve racking to stand there and have all the other students watching from up above! But when the Thunderbird flapped it's wings to claim me, all the nerves washed away as the other students cheered.

      "Well, have you told Harry about your decision," asked Logan.

      I nodded, "Yes and he is supportive of the decision. A little down about the fact that his "protégé" won't be working with him." We walked through the main doors. The halls were decorated with old drawings and paintings, students went about their ways in the sea of red and blue. Everyone was loud and excited as they talked amongst themselves. We pushed our way through the sea of students, making our way back to our dorms to pack and get ready for dinner.

      I walked through the living room area, greeting some friends as I passed by. I trudged up the stairs and to my bed, stopping at the door. My eyes slowly drifted over the empty room, taking in all the details. I smiled as all the memories flashed through my mind, giving a bittersweet feeling take over. Walking over to my bed, I put my books on the bed, letting my fingers drift across the red bedding. All those nights we stayed up studying or eating Fizzy Whizzbees and seeing who could handle the most Exploding Bonbons. Reluctantly, I started to pack as much as I could. Of course, as I dug up all my stuff to put it away, I got distracted by all the pictures from the year. Pictures of us just goofing off, pranking people, pictures and newsletter cutouts from when I won the Tri-Wizard tournament, the ball, and all that jazz. Time definitely slipped from me because before I knew it, it was time to head to the last dinner.

      We all squeezed our way out to the halls, all of us walking to one place. Ghosts flew through us and around us, greeting people or going about their merry way. Walking into the dinning hall, the sounds of our voices amplified. The dinning hall was grand and decorated to match the elegance of the intricate coverings found within. The ceiling held the night sky with the constellations coming to life and dancing over our heads. Below that were glimmering balls of light that gave the light to the room. Tapestries representing the four houses decorated the walls, falling from the ceiling to the floors. I made my seat in the middle, smiling as I greeted the familiar faces around me.