Things Have Shifted

The room was dark, the walls were made of grey bricks. The ceiling and walls were worn down, parts of it broken from time's harsh hand. A subtle sound of water dripping in the depths of the place echoed in the silence. Thirteen people, cloaked in dark robes with masks for a face stood in a circle. In the middle of them were items collected and strategically placed in a certain order. A piece of black cloth, strands of black hair, a powerful wand that was broken in two...

      "It is done."

      "But did it work?"

      "How do we know?"

      "We should be asking when we shall rise! Not question the ritual!"

      "I can feel it...I can feel the magic in its works!"

      "We wait...for time will soon tell."

~

      My eyes were greeted by the draping that hung above my bed. Blinking a few times, I pushed myself up on my elbows, groaning as the headache seemed to come alive.

      "Ow," I seethed, holding my head in my hand.

      "Milady!"

      Rokiel stood at the door, her eyes wide as she held a tray of food. I watched as she quickly shuffled over to the bed, placing the tray carefully before turning her attention back to me. Her eyes held worry as she reached out and pressed her hand against my forehead.

      "How are you feeling," she questioned.

      "Like I got knocked out by a troll," I replied, "What happened?"

      "We aren't for sure. You fell into a fit and spoke in a different voice," she said, "You gave us all a fright."

      I looked at her, "A different voice?"

      Rokiel nodded, "Yes, it was much like that of a snake."

      "Snake," I questioned.

      Rokiel nodded before turning to the tray, "The queen will be pleased to know you are awake. But first, you must eat. I brought a bunch of goodies for you to tr-"

      "Was it a man's voice," I asked.

      Rokiel turned to me a moment as she pulled the tray closer, "yes, milady. Let us not worry of that until we have food in you. Won't do much good with an empt-"

      "What did I say," I asked, pushing her hand away from the tray.

      Rokiel looked at me a moment, "Milady, I was not there to see or hear. But, one of the guards said you spoke of "being a key" and something about "returning"."

      I thought a moment, feeling my stomach drop as I put things together. I grabbed the covers, throwing them off of me as I began to pull myself out of bed.

      "You must rest," exclaimed Rokiel, jumping to her feet.

      "I need to go," I mumbled, steadying myself on my feet, "I have to go."

      "No, you must rest! The king and queen will not be plea-"

       I turned to Rokiel, a weird feeling taking over me as I felt myself watch her in anger. Her eyes widened at my sudden change in attitude. I groaned, shaking my head as I pulled myself away from that mindset.