The Calm...

I felt like I was dying. Slowly withering away as the seconds went by. The dark thoughts became more prominent, the voice was louder than before, anger swelled up in me at the most random times. Yet, I was still too weak to do anything. He sucked out all of my strength when he took over; and I fear that I won't get better until I have no control. He was a deadly parasite to contract and I was the unlucky host.

        Grandma Weasley brought me breakfast of bacon, eggs, toast, and a hot cup of tea. She sat there until I ate it all, going on about what was in the Daily Prophet and the rise of crimes in the wizarding world. She even made mention of my stunt with the no-majs and how I made the front page. Wizards and witches alike try to conceal magic from the no-majs. Some believe it is better for our worlds to remain apart, saying that the no-majs were not prepared to receive such news. Others believe that they're not worthy of knowing the magic we live with. But I had made front page the day after New York was attacked! Grandma Weasley even saved the paper for me to see.

        "There you are," she gushed, "Looking as daring as ever!"

        I held the page in front of my eyes as I took it in. The title waved in bold lettering "Thunderbird Saves Us All?". The article was plagued with various pictures captured from that day. The big picture that fell beneath the title was one from when I won the Tri-Wizard Tournament two years earlier. I had a big smile on my face as I held up the trophy. I was covered in dirt, my uniform was stained, but my smile was bright as I cheered. A smile crept to my lips as I remembered that day. I was exhausted from lack of sleep and my brain was fried from studying and trying to figure out what the last event would entail. The odds were against me at that point. I had only won one event by default since one of the other contestants got injured. Came in second on another.

~

        The students had been gathering a few hours before the last event started. I sat on the window of "my" tower as I watched the hoards of students slowly make their way from the grounds and toward the forest in the distance. Carriages were seen at a distance, gathering groups of students and hauling them away.

        I let out a nervous sigh as I fiddled with my fingers. Why was I nervous? At this point I had gotten through a maze-like cave infested with rogue goblins to retrieve the golden ring that belonged to one of the founders, flew through lightening and hail in an attempt to capture a real-live thunderbird (that left me with a few bruised ribs and ringing ears), and now?

        I have no idea.

        "Three shall go into the forest deep.

        Fight and climb up the mountain's steep.

         Whosoever shall forget their way,

        Will surely never see the light of day.

        Be light-footed and keep aware,

        Or the beasts will beat you there.

        Above the clouds, the prize has stayed,

        Guarded by those who protect the way.

        The bells will toll four times this night,

        The last will keep the prize from sight."

        I had memorized that "clue" since the last event. I had spent almost everyone night in the library for the past week and a half in an attempt to figure out what it all meant. There were many stories in which something was lost or hidden that could've been the "prize" mentioned in the poem. Too many creatures stalked the forest at night to single out which one guarded a prize. Most were just aggressive, territorial, or had a bloodlust. I had practically gone over every spell and charm I could find that would help complete the event in any way. Countless of spells but I hadn't figured out what was exactly out there.