CHAPTER FIVE

• Αφιερωμένο στον/ην iboateng

edited on 7 august 2021

"We need to go shopping for new outfits — actually we have to revamp your whole closet," Erin paces around my bedroom, with a dazed grin

"We don't need to do any of that."

She pauses and throws me an incredulous, pitiful look, "Isla I had to admit it but your wardrobe is drier than the Sahara. It consists of tracksuits and hoodies."

I fix the collar of my button up, frowning, "Not true, I'm clearly not wearing that," I point out, gesturing to my jeans and shirt, "Besides, what's wrong with having a wardrobe only consisting of that?"

"Everything if you're working for Damien Pierce," she snorts, resting on my bed.

"You know what, I'm going to pretend you didn't utter those words." I scowl, shoving on my heeled boots and snatching my vibrating phone.

I don't appreciate tardiness, Ms Accardo.

My scowl intensifies once I read his message. I had to remind myself that this was all for my parents and nothing else — and maybe me with the large sum of money I'd soon be receiving. I worked in customer service and dealt with annoying customers. It was like they were my preparation for the storm I'd run into.

"I can do this," I repeat to myself, fixing my hair in the mirror. I ignore the dumbfounded face of Erin being reflected in the mirror. I turn to her, "Wish me luck."

"Tell me everything that happens, verbatim," She winks at me, "And tell me what cologne he uses."

I narrow my gaze, "We'll see."

Not wanting to indulge in her antics any further, I leave my apartment and start my car. Sure enough, I reach the grand building in under twenty-five minutes, the valet parking my car. The Pierce building ws more of a multitude of buildings conjoined into one. The main lobby was clear with the golden edged revolving door and security lined around the entrance.

Upon entry, I realised how wealthy Damien Pierce was.

The tiles were marbled white, reflecting perfectly my figure as the bright white lights illuminated the open room. The front desk was built in a crescent shape, four employees are answering ringing phone calls and typing rapidly. There were more people than I thought working and running around here, the corner cafe store decorated with huddles of people and some alone, sipping on ceramic mugs.

I get nudged aside as a large delivery full of clothes and mannequins enters into the building, getting directed by a woman to enter into one of the several elevators.

The woman's eyes frantically meet mine, doing a double take, "You're new here."

I curl my hair behind my ear, focusing on her and not the commotion surrounding us, "Yeah...I'm actually the new assistant?"