CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

I couldn't bring myself to hate her.

There has always been a reason for me to hate Damien's past...

Conquests, let's just say.

But Avery hadn't shown me any reason to hate her. And that alone, just made me hate her even more. Of course, I didn't show it because I didn't want to make Damien think I was potentially jealous of her.

Which I wasn't.

"So, how long have you been dating?" she asks, swirling the straw in her drink as glances between Damien and me.

I shrug, "Not for long. Only around four months; nearing five."

She raises her eyebrow, "Not for long? I mean that's pretty long for Damien," she lets out a delicate laugh, "I remember he couldn't keep a girl in high school longer than three weeks."

Damien lets out an airy laugh and I give them both a glance, "So you guys were close, close?" Damien gives me a look, placing a hand on my leg.

She nods, giving Damien a fleeting smile, "Oh for sure! People used to think we were inseparable. Which was true, right Damien?"

Damien clears his throat and nods, "Uh, yeah. High school sure was an odd time," he grins, dimples cutting into his cheeks.

Avery takes that as a reason to even speak more about their time in high school. Obviously I knew she wasn't trying to spite me but Damien's past wasn't something we regularly conversed about. Honestly, it was something he was quite embarrassed about and shut down the conversation once it had diverted to it. 

Once a brief minute of silence had settled over the three of us I decided to pop the question I had been pondering on, "So did you guys date?"

Avery lets out a sound of surprise, as Damien's hand tenses on my thigh. I lean back in my seat with amusement at the two reactions, "Well?"

Damien coughs lightly before responding, "Uh..Yeah, we did."

I push his hand off my thigh.

Our eyes meet to each other before I look away to focus my attention on Avery, "Well, what happened?"

Avery laughs heartily, "Isla, it was nothing serious. Obviously boys and girls who were friends just had to date. It was only in freshman year, and again in senior year for a total of two months. Obviously it didn't work it was basically never meant to be. We were too close of friends to go to the next level," she explains, and I nod in agreement.

I just didn't get her first statement. People of the opposite gender can just stay friends. For example, Alec and Nathan. And honestly; I found that as a lame excuse to prevent me from lashing out of Damien later.

Damien decides to divert the conversation elsewhere to how Avery was settling, releasing the tension that hung over us. Gratefully, Avery had to finish settling in her temporary apartment, leaving us to separate ways from the restaurant. 

After many conversations, Damien and I had decided to not regularly spend the night with each other to get a break. Honestly, it was a good decision. After all, our last argument happened we did decide to spend the night at his penthouse. 

Damien pulls up at my apartment and turns off the ignition before turning to me. I click off my seatbelt and open the door before his hand brushes on my waist. 

"Isla-"

"Can we talk about this tomorrow?" I ask, a sharpness in my tone.

"And how's that going to help?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.