CHAPTER FORTY

Today was the last day before the Pierce's tenth Christmas party and to say it was chaotic would've been an understatement

It was approximately only ten in the morning and I hadn't gotten a break since I had arrived at six at the brink of sunlight. I was constantly answering phone calls, running between the grand hall in Alec's hotel (where it was to be held) and the Pierce's building to approve of the furniture and the specific placement of decorations. Then I had to finalise the decision of what designer Damien would be wearing, the 'signature scent' and edit his speech to make sure there was not even one grammatical error. 

I finally had ten minutes to catch a break before I had to drive back to the hall to clarify the appetizers. I sigh in relief, dropping my phone on my desk and sinking into my plush leather chair as my eyes dropped shut.

I was worried. Not only about this damn Christmas 'party' (more shall I say rich people conference), but mostly about Damien and I. These few days have been hectic, and we hadn't seen each other outside of the working environment. The most about of time we had spent together was twenty minutes, which was cut short Damien had received an important call from Avery. I still had suspicions about her, but I let it slide over my mind with the amount of stress I had been under in the past few days.

Our daily sleepovers alternating at each other's homes hadn't occurred in over a week and usually, if we couldn't force a sleepover, we would compensate with a date night. Which hadn't happened either.  I knew that this would only last for a week, and everything would be back to the regular schedule by next week but I couldn't help but think how many times this would happen over next year?

I wouldn't say I was clingy as such to Damien, but everyone wants to spend quality time with their boyfriend or girlfriend, regardless of how long it has been. Not only this, but the thought of him ditching our dates to spend time with Avery to apparently 'talk' about the photography sent my mind into a frenzy.

I still didn't know what to think of Avery. I wanted to prove to Damien that I did trust him but the constant 'hangouts' they had been doing made me reconsider how much I actually did trust him.

Warm, masculine hands gently rub my shoulder blades and I stiffen under their touch. I glance back to see Damien's figure allowing me to visibly relax, "You are very tense Isla Rose Accardo," He murmurs in my ear as he crouches down to my level, his fingers gently digging into my muscles.

I roll my eyes, the corners of my mouth quirking up slightly, "The real question is; why aren't you tense?"

He shrugs, pausing for a minute before responding, "I realise that it's just one night. Sure, I will gain some alliances with other companies from it if it does succeed, but one shitty night won't dictate my whole future," he pauses again and continues, "Now tell me why you're stressing over tomorrow night when I'm not?"

I exhale quietly, bringing myself to my feet and facing Damien, "It's not that I'm worried about," I mumble, my eyes boring into his.

A frown makes its way to his lips indicating that he knew what I was anxious about. His holds my hands with his, his copper-brown eyes still trained to mine, "Isla...I'm sorry about how busy I've been. You'd know I'd cancel every meeting if I could," he says, sincerity held in his tone.