CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

I cross my arms over my chest, narrowing my eyes, "Seriously?"

Damien gives me a pointed look, checking his watch as his foot taps on the ground impatiently, "Come on, Isla. I only have a thirty-minute break."

"Well, that's too bad!" I exclaim, pushing his muscular build out of my office door, "Guess we'll have to do it next time."

I let out a yelp as he grabs ahold of my wrists, pushing my softly against the wall, "Please Isla?" he murmurs softly, his eyes pleading, "For me?"

I roll my bottom lip into my mouth, staring into his eyes, "Damien..." I let out a sigh, "Okay fine. But this is the last time I'm talking to her."

A heartwarming smile graces his lips and he pulls me into a tight hug, kissing the top of my head, "Thank you Isla, I..." he clears his throat and unravels his arms from around me.

"You..?" I stare up at him with curiosity.

"I..I appreciate it," he gives me a heart-clenching smile before quickly kissing my cheek, "Come on, we better go quickly before we miss her."

He interlocks fingers with me as we rush out the building to his car. As we pull out of the car park, hands still interlocked I can't help but feel my heart drop.

Why had I been hoping he'd saying something different than I appreciate it?

I chip off my nail polish as I ignore her penetrating gaze. Damien's bouncing his leg with impatience as they both wait for me to say something. Damien lets out a sigh, squeezing my thigh.

"C'mon Isla," he murmurs, giving me a comforting gaze. I narrow my eyes and he gestures towards her.

I let out a quiet groan before meeting her soft eyes, "I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't mean for it...To come across that way. Although I still agree with-" Damien narrows his eyes at me in which I choose to ignore, "Although I don't agree with what I said, hopefully, you can forgive me."

Silence settles over the three of us, as I meet her gaze for a second before I divert back down to my hands. The familiarity of the table almost makes me snicker in the quietness as I remember the last time I was here. 

God, that was awful.

Katherine inhales deeply, as her hands wrap around the ceramic coffee mug, "What you said was quite hurtful, and honestly...I wasn't expecting it. But I won't deny, that it is the truth. I regret what I did and if I could change the past; I would. But that doesn't allow you to throw it in my face," her eyes meet mine with a mix of grief and agitation, "Honestly, I don't think I'll ever have the same perception of you, but I accept your apology," she gives me a warm smile despite the whole situation and the guiltiness eats inside of me. 

I bite my lip as I fidget with my fingers. I was honestly expecting a more bitchy reply, but with the fact, she forgave me so easily; I felt ashamed by the way I had acted.

An unsettling silence settles once again and I find the urge to want to leave the table.

"Well," Damien says, interrupting the unnerving silence, "I'm glad-"

"Oh, would you look at that? Seems like your break's over!" I exclaim, grabbing ahold of Damien's arm. He glowers at me and I give him a sweet smile.

Anything Damien was to follow on with after, was most likely to intensify the awkwardness of the atmosphere.

"But I still-" my nail dig into his arms and he widens his eyes as his mouth shapes an 'O', "Uh, yeah. Seems like they moved the time."

I turn my gaze to Katherine, a genuine smile forming on my lips, "Thank you for accepting my apology. I hope things aren't too awkward between us," she nods her head acceptingly, a weight lifted off my shoulders.