98%

About a week later we graduated.

It wasn't as I expected. It went slow, and a lot of people had speeches. They did a moment of silence for Chris and PJ, and when everyone hung their heads, I glanced back around the L section and found Phil. He nodded sincerely, and I took a deep breath. The worst part was that they almost made it, PJ and Chris. They had gone through almost 12 years of the place they knew as a second hell, and they died a week before they were to leave it.

A day before Phil was to leave, we were at Martyn's house packing when for him when he said, "You know, we never got to dance at prom."

"Huh?" I responded.

"We promised a dance, but it never happened."

"Yeah, well-"

"Dan Howell." Phil grabbed one of my hands. He took the shirt I was folding for him and put it on his bed. He then took my other hand. "Will you dance with me?"

I nodded, and he led us over to the stereo. "I was listening to this song earlier." He pressed play. The song started, an unfamiliar tune I've never heard before. He brought us to the middle of his room, spinning me once before sliding his hands around my waist. I put mine on his shoulders.

He started to sing the words softly, so I could hear all three voices.

"Who is this?" I asked him softly.

"Frank Sinatra."

"He has a nice voice."

Phil nodded in agreement. "And then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like I love you." He sang along with the man and woman.

"Oh okay. That got deep." I smiled. Phil brought me closer so that our chests were touching. He whispered the song into my ear.

I practice every day to find some clever lines to say to make the meaning come true.

"I used to do that." Phil said.

But then I think I'll wait until the evening gets late and I'm alone with you.

"Do what?" I asked.

"Practice things to say to you."

The time is right, your perfume fills my head, the stars get red, and oh the night's so blue.

"Can stars be red?" I asked.

"Only if they're angry." Phil muttered back.

And then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like I love you.

"What would they be angry about?"

"Perhaps, that other stars can move and they cannot. Or maybe they're mad that they can't taste chocolate."

"That's true." I shrugged. Phil leant back and kissed me before returning his chin to the crook of my neck.

"I'm sorry I have to go." He sighed.

"You don't have to apologize."

"You'll come visit me?" He whispered.

"I'll try. I promise."

And then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like-

"I love you."