Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~11~ Turn Right

~11~ Turn Right

(Angel’s POV)

“Need help?” someone asked me. I looked over my shoulder to see a tall, light-brown haired boy with my brother at his side.

“Uh, sure,” I smiled nicely. Considering how half of our school was burnt, our students had to migrate into the nearest schools. This new school had about 40% of the school because it was sort of far away.

“This is my friend, Joey,” Devin greeted. I nodded as we shook hands, but didn’t respond with my name.

“Don’t tell me; you’re a nerd, aren’t you?” I assumed, turning up my nose, playfully.

“No. I’ll leave that title to Devin here,” he smiled back. One of the warning bells rang so nerdy Devin fled with a goodbye, leaving Joey and I alone…if you could consider alone in a rushing hallway filled with the population of more than one high school.

“So it must be hard, eh?” he asked after I allowed him to see my schedule. He had started to walk me to class…well at least the direction I think is the class. “Losing your school when it was only the first week.”

“So it must be hard for you too,” I commented, looking straight ahead. I looked over at him from the corner of my eye. “Being late to class.”

As a said that, the late bell went off.

“Eh, it’s worth it,” he smiled as we still walked. “And it’s not as hard as seeing half my school get burned down.”

“I suppose,” I mumbled.

“I just feel really bad about the girl and boy who were injured. Do you know them?” he asked. I paused.

“I am them,” I announced. Ugh. I was stupid. “I mean I’m her.”

“No way,” he said. I stopped walking and pulled up my jeans to reveal the ankle brace. I also pulled back my hair to show the burn marks and such. “Wow…I’m glad you’re okay.”

Says the guy that just met me…

“What about the guy?” he asked.

“He’s fine…” I gulped. “Perfect, actually. He comes here now too, well at least I assumed he would considering he lives a block away from me.”

“Oh, cool,” Joey nodded with a smile. I saw the numbers on the classrooms get close to the room number enlisted on my schedule. “Well I’d love to congratulate him for his heroism sometime.”

“I’ll…tell him if I see him,” I nodded. And then we reached the classroom. I looked inside and saw no one from my old school in there that I knew. I’d seen some, but not any that I was friends with.

“You know, it’s odd knowing that you’re Devin’s little sister,” Joey commented when I had started to touch the door’s knob.

“Then don’t think of me that way,” I flirted.

“That’ll be hard,” he smiled and looked down. He was truly adorable. He stopped from leaning over me and stood up straighter. “Well, since your brother is and has been my best friend for an ongoing four years, I assume it’s also my responsibility to look after you.”

“But you don’t even know me,” I laughed in a reminder. He smiled.

“Hopefully that’ll change,” he said lastly before grabbing the small of my back and opening the door. What…

“Hello Mr. Edwards,” the teacher smiled.

“Hi,” he smiled back. “I have a transfer student for you. She was lost.”