Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~23~ Your Love

~23~ Your Love

(Angel’s POV)

Someone was shaking me awake. I opened my eyes, reluctantly, to see it to be Joey.

“Hmm?” I hummed as a greeting. Even from the makeshift bed on Zac’s floor, I could tell it was way before sunrise.

“My sister says I have to go home,” he whispered.

“Okay,” I said. And you felt like you had to wake me up? Ugh. My head was pounding. “Are you able to drive?”

“Yeah,” he answered. “I’ll see you Monday, okay?”

“Mhmm,” I hummed, trying to go back to sleep. He kissed me and then left. Grabbing the familiar Fantastic Four throw blanket, I migrated to Zac’s couch and tried to fall back to sleep, but my brain was literally pounding so much that I had to keep tossing and turning. I was getting so fed up with it that probably an hour had passed and I just pouted. Thank you, Joey, for having a need to wake me. Sarcasm included greatly!

“Here,” a voice said. I opened my eyes to see Zac standing in front of me with a pill and glass of water.

“This won’t kill me right?” I managed to joke, taking the pill from his hand.

“If I wanted you dead, I would’ve left you in that fire,” he commented. I gulped down the pill and chugged the water. “Better?”

“Yeah…” I answered.

“Good. Now go to sleep,” he ordered, dropping a pillow on me that was previously on the floor where Joey and I slept. I watched him go back to his bed, adjust Lacy, and spoon her to fall back asleep. I swallowed hard, thinking of how the h3ll he would go from Lulu to her…and more importantly: be stupid enough to not realize that she only liked him because he saved her.

But why did I care? He wanted to be a hero…maybe because he got obsessive, fake love as a reward.

***

“Wake up,” someone growled at me.

“Good morning to you too, Sunshine,” I grumbled at Zac, who had hair sticking up in all directions as he wore his muscle shirt and gym shorts as pajamas. I sat up, rubbing my eyes, as I looked at his bed.

“Where’s the sl*t?” I thought.

“She left,” Zac hissed. Sh!t. Did I say that out loud? “Apparently I broke up with her, but I wasn’t drunk enough to forget anything. Eh, maybe it was about time.”

Wow…

I stood up and then immediately started to fall because of my headache.

“Still there, huh?” Zac asked. He left and came back with medicine and water, again. “You can stay here for the day if you want, so you don’t have to stumble through the streets with a hangover.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled. I ran a hand through my thick hair and sat on his bed. I looked around.

“What are we supposed to do all day?” I asked him.

“You can hang out with my sisters if you want,” he shrugged.

“I wanna hang out with you though,” I admitted. He stopped to look up at me. He shrugged and just lay on the bed beside me. Ugh. My head was pounding. “I’m never drinking again.”

He laughed.

“Why not?” he asked.

“Cuz my head hurts like h3ll and we both know I’m an easy drunk that can’t remember what the h3ll happened last night,” I answered. “What…did happen last night?”