Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~12~ Chemistry...but not the scientific kind

~12~ Chemistry…but Not the Scientific Kind

(Devin’s POV)

After school, I prepared the chemicals to make another batch for Joey. I know I said I was done with Zac, but that doesn’t mean that I’d have another test.

But this time was different. I didn’t ask anyone or bribe anyone. He wanted the potential ability boost. I rather someone as stable as Joey to take it than Zac, who’s done some of the most unhealthy things in his life, but yet doesn’t give a crap about effects.

But Joey didn’t know about Zac and the effects.

“What are you gonna call this stuff?” he asked when he sniffed it, shocked to find out that it had no scent.

“I dunno,” I shrugged. I hadn’t thought of that. He shrugged back. I added a slither of dry ice and gestured for him to drink it.

He held it up to his lips and drank all of it, but I bumped him so that the last of it could spill onto him. He wiped it off of his face with his hands and then ran the sink’s water to rinse off his hand. Element.

“What do I do now?” he asked.

“We sit and wait,” I answered.

“’Ello, mate,” I heard Angel greet as she popped into the kitchen.

“Hello,” I returned, starting to clean up the science stuff.

“H-Hi,” Joey stammered, making me playfully roll my eyes. He was so whipped on Angel from the moment he laid eyes on her. Emotion.

“Ew. Nerd stuff,” Angel commented when she saw all my equipment.

“Har har,” I laughed robotically.

“Well if you two nerds—”

“Ahem,” Joey coughed.

“Well if you nerd and nerd’s best friend don’t mind, I’ll be upstairs,” she changed her words, even though she didn’t know that Joey was actually smart.

“Well then what’s for dinner?” I asked.

“You’re a man, make something yourself,” she said as she left. I raised an eyebrow.

“You’re joking right?” I called after her. Her head popped up from around the kitchen’s entrance and she smiled.

“Of course I am. I’ll be down in a few,” she replied before officially leaving. I liked this Angel better. She didn’t hate me anymore.

“Do you need help?” Joey asked.

“Doing what?”

“Starting dinner,” he said as if mesmerized. I started to hum the wedding march. He shoved my shoulder. “Whatever. I’ll tell you if anything happens tonight.”

“Sure thing,” I said. He started to leave, but then ran into someone at the door. I had to check and see, myself, for who it was.

“Zac?” I asked. I already told this kid that I was done trying to…diagnose him.

“I…just wanted to talk to your sister…” he informed, looking at me first and then switching his gaze to Joey. “Is she home?”

“Yeah. Upstairs,” I answered. “But she’s probably showering or something. What did you need to tell her?”

“Um…” he hummed. “Actually, you know what? I think it can wait until another day.”

“Uh huh,” I said, unconvinced. “Bye Zac.”

“But can I talk to you?” he asked. What?

“About what?” I asked, confused.

“Chemistry…” he answered, even confused himself.

“But you’re taking Physics,” I reminded, narrowing my eyes.

“But I have chemistry with your sister,” he tried to hint. He wanted to talk about the drug and its effects. But I noticed that Joey started to get a new look.

“Actually, Devin, you know what? You can start dinner now. Ask Joey if he’d like to stay!” Angel called from upstairs, but didn’t come down. Joey smirked.

“Well I’ll go get dinner started…” Joey said, walking past this situation. Zac’s eyes narrowed as Joey walked away.

“If you have a problem with him, just stay for dinner too,” I shrugged. he smirked evily.

“You know what? I think I might,” he nodded.

“Angel! Zac’s eating dinner with us too!” I called up.

“Zac? What are you—” Angel started to ask as she trotted down the stairs.

“Hi,” Zac said, faintly. Angel looked to me.

“I thought you said Joey was staying over?” she said.

“He is,” I nodded with a serious face.

“Oh,” she said, her eyebrows combing together. “Great…”

I’d like to think so.

***

“So, Joey, how long have you known Devin?” Zac asked at the dinner table.

“Freshman year,” Joey answered. “How long have you known Angel?”

“Since elementary school,” he answered, making Joey look down in defeat.

“But we weren’t really friends that whole time,” Angel added.

“Oh?” Joey asked. “Why not?”

“She sort of hates me,” Zac whispered, making Joey chuckle, which resulted in me kicking his shin. He sent me a glare.

“Hated,” Angel corrected in a hiss. Zac looked up and I saw his eyes change from brown to green. He was interested and in love. I could tell.

Green when in love, blue when confused, brown normal, and orange gold flakes when…creating fire.

But, for some reason, I think Joey would be a better match for Angel. After all, his first emotion is love…and judging as the fight that I now missed with my thoughts, hate was the second.

“Then why are you here?!” Joey asked. He and Zac were now standing.

“Why do you care!?” Zac yelled back. His eyes were changing. “If Angel wants me to go, then I’ll go!”

He looked to Angel…both of them did. The room fell silent. Angel looked between them. I watched Joey and his eyes brightened and I saw the water in his glass start to swirl. The drug worked.