Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~32~ Ice-Ice Baby

~32~ Ice-Ice Baby

(Angel’s POV)

“I…I don’t get it,” a voice said, startling me as I sat with my feet in the lighted pool. I looked up to see Zac and I wiped my face. “I tell you how I feel about you and you don’t care, but when I do something that would normal girls would freak out about cuz of jealousy you—”

“What did you expect?!” I yelled.

“Tell me this,” he hissed. “Why are you mad?”

“I’m not mad, I’m hurt and I feel like…like you used me,” I rambled on and on. He crouched down to my side.

“Why?”

“Cuz you said you came here for me, but then you’re so willing to just continue to come crawling back to Lulu,” I answered.

“I’m gonna tell you like I told Lulu; you chose for this to happen,” he said quietly and I knew he was right. That’s exactly why I dove right into the cold water beneath me. Here, he couldn’t touch me. Being underwater was out of his jurisdiction. But as I closed my eyes and thought in the serenity of the water, I felt someone grab my waist and surface me. It was Zac.

“I thought you can’t be in water,” I said, seeing my breath bounce off the water.

“I’m not supposed to, but I can be,” he replied.

“Then why are you here?” I asked.

“Because I don’t care about some element…”

“Shouldn’t it bring you any pain that your fires healed?” I asked. I was basing all of this off of whatever Joey told me.

“Yeah,” he said. “So what?”

“Why would you risk it by diving in?” I asked.

“Why should I fear something that can’t be controlled?” he asked and it triggered a memory. That’s exactly what I told Lulu.

“You can fear the person that can control it,” I reasoned.

“Well he’s not here,” he reminded and tightened his grip on my waist. He started to lean his forehead on mine, but I pulled away and swam to the edge of the pool and pulled myself out. He did the same and I realized that he had faint scars and burns that weren’t there before. I guess Joey was right about that factor.

“You’re an idiot,” I told him as I rang out my hair. “You just hurt yourself.”

He walked over to me and the look on his face just read that he was trying to control the pain. However, he stopped nearly half a foot in front of me.

“The only thing that’s hurting right now is my heart,” he said before steam started to emit from his body. “But what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”

Fire didn’t kill me, but it’s making me stronger by having Zac. By stronger, I mean mentally deranged over this boy.

***

It took three days after break ended when I realized that things were different about Zac. So now I sat at lunch, glaring at how Zac now had more than just Brian at his table. Now they had a group of girls.

“Lacy,” I called when she was passing me. I gestured to Zac’s table. “What’s going on?”

Even though they broke up and I still hated her, she basically followed every part of Zac’s life…seeing as she was “in love” with him or some sh!t.

“You didn’t know? I thought he told you,” she said with a frown. She sat down at the table. “You know how he went to the college tour unexpected? Well someone asked why and he said he didn’t know, because he’s not going to college.”