Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~28~ Falling Up

~28~ Falling Up

(Zac’s POV)

Nothing. A month of absolutely nothing. For once, I was actually forced to focus on my studies because I couldn’t mess around with Luke and them, or be distracted with girls. The only person willing to talk to me was Brian. No one knew what to think of me except the people at the scene of the crime.

I looked up at lunch and saw Angel walking out of the cafeteria with Lulu.

You know, if I had never looked in a mirror, she might have been the most depressing person after all of this. But why? It’s not like she lost her best friend, or boyfriend, or anything at all. All she lost was any feelings for me.

“Just talk to her,” Brian said. I looked over to him as he worked on his math homework.

“What’s the use,” I sighed, closing my book. I grabbed my stuff and started to leave.

“Where are you going?” Brian asked.

“Just away from here,” I answered. I started to make my way to the back of the school by where the old gym used to be. The school just decided to leave it like that. Considering we already had two new gyms, the old one was nothing anyways. It was just a bunch of ruble now.

“I don’t know how you can come here without any fear,” I heard someone say. I rounded the corner and saw Lulu and Angel playing on the dirt mounds.

“What would I fear?” Angel asked confidently. “There’s nothing left to burn.”

“Right…” Lulu trailed. I leaned against the wall and watched them. “Same ole Angel. Not afraid of anything. Not drowning, or burning, or—”

“It’s not about that though,” Angel snapped. “It’s just…why should you be afraid of something that’s completely out of your hands.”

“And if it was?”

“Then we’d have something to worry about,” she admitted. I sighed and slid down to sit against the wall. She worried about me than, but did that mean she feared me in the process? Along with Joey and Brian? Even Devin, maybe? It didn’t matter though because she stayed with either Lulu, or Joey. She despised the rest of us. And it was my fault. I should’ve just told her from the beginning…

“So how are you and Joey?” I heard Lulu ask her. By now, my head was resting on my knees in depression. I didn’t even wanna hear how well Angel and Joey were doing.

“It’s…complicated,” she answered. Wait, what? I lifted my head. “He’s…more protective and I just need to breathe sometimes…”

He was suffocating her so that the same incident won’t happen again. But as I see it, she’s still pissed off at him. Either way, I had convinced myself that she would only ever hate me and I expected my feelings not to be returned. I stood up and kicked small rocks as I made my way to my next class before the bell even rang.

(Angel’s POV)

“I just don’t wanna lose you,” Joey said. We were laying on the stairs and having a serious talk that’s been needed for a month, now.

“Well I don’t want you to lie to me,” I reasoned.

“I promise I won’t,” he said, raising my hand and kissing it. I produced a smile and he reached up to kiss me. I kissed back against his soft lips and then his hands moved to my waist. I pulled away and saw him to be smiling. He lifted me to stand by my waist and pressed his lips back to mine. He hitched me on his hips and then carried me up the stairs, still making out. The first thing I felt was my back against my bed. I pulled away when he was above me. I looked with the corner of my eye and saw the glass of water by my bed floating.