Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~27~ Mess I Made

~27~ Mess I Made

(Devin’s POV)

My sister and best friend were probably lost. Zac was passed out and nearly dead by the time we reached the station. Brian was somehow holding up on this.

“You alright?” he asked me as we sat in the hospital. It was different than the last time. Prior to this incident, we were here in support of Zac and Joey being in some building fire. Now we were here because of me…along with other officers and firefighters who felt Luke’s wrath. No; not only them, but their loved ones as well, just to eat up my guilt.

“I should be asking you that,” I reasoned. After all, Luke is his brother. He somehow snickered as if the question was humorous.

“You know, I never thought I’d actually care about Zac Tyler, but…here I am,” he admitted. He nudged my knee.

“You brought us together,” he said. I shook my head.

“Luke did,” I hissed. Then it was Brian to shake his head.

“Even before that,” he said. “Or maybe it was Joey…which still leads back to you.”

Did he think I was stupid?

“It’s because of Angel,” I said in actuality. Then he nodded. “If it wasn’t for her, they wouldn’t have their powers, and if they didn’t, you wouldn’t.”

“But if you never introduced Joey into the picture, Zac and I wouldn’t have made an alliance to get rid of their relationship,” he notified. I hit the seat’s arm.

“You know, at first I thought that it was my partial responsibility to look out for her…seeing as I’ve been away for all these years, but then I got here and you two are together for a long time and in love and…I was happy for you both because I wouldn’t have to interfere…” I started, gong off on a tangent. “But then Zac came into the picture when you two broke up and I felt pressured. So when the fire happened and Zac saved her, I thought that Angel deserved someone that wasn’t that reckless…”

“So you got her together with Joey,” Brian finished. I nodded.

“He was the one person I trusted to date her,” I admitted. “And even though I saw an immediate attraction between them, her and Zac…”

Brian started laughing.

“You can’t describe her and Zac,” he laughed. I agree. “They have their ups and downs as much as Zac had with Lulu, only Angel makes it mature.”

I nodded.

“But you can tell there’s something there, or you wouldn’t have tested her in this scientific love triangle,” he added.

“ Scientific’ and ‘love’ shouldn’t even be in the same sentence,” I noted with a laugh.

“Let’s keep it that way,” Brian smiled with a nod.

(Angel’s POV)

“Thank you so much,” I told the young man that gave Joey and me a ride.

“Thanks,” Joey added.

“You’re welcome,” he replied.

“No, really. Thank you so much. I wish I could make it up to you, but…”

“Well actually—” he started to say, but Joey grabbed my waist.

“Yeah. Thanks again. Whatever. Bye,” he said in a rush. I rolled my eyes. I looked up to the giant hospital.