Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~26~ Dead and Gone

~26~ Dead and Gone

“Can I ask you something?” I asked Luke. It had now been a day and we had migrated to a new room. Well…Brian and I. But we were still locked to a pole and in view of the others in the main room, as Devin was making the drug for Luke.

Zac was still on their side.

“What, princess?” Luke asked.

“What’s it gonna be to you? No matter what you control, you can’t do anything,” I reasoned. He squatted down to my height and I started to flinch into Brian, who was still blindfolded for some reason.

“Your little boyfriend in there can control any water in the world. My brother, here, can control every plant in the world and more,” he hissed. “And Zac? He’s even more powerful.”

“So I’ve noticed,” I rolled my eyes.

“You can take the drug without having any effects,” Brian stated.

“Is that right? That’s exactly why you mutants are tied up,” Luke said, getting mad and pushing Brian’s face back. I scoffed at his actions.

“I’m not even a mutant!” I yelled.

“But you’re important to everyone here and that’s all I need,” he smiled and then kissed my cheek. I rolled my eyes. He stood and then left. I leaned into Brian and laid on his lap.

“I hate your brother,” I told him.

“Oh, you too?” he asked, but then his face dropped.

“Why can’t you do anything?” I asked. Like get us out of here!

“My powers are controlled visually,” he explained. “And as of this circumstance, I can’t see anything.”

I bit my lip, wanting to just unbind him, but my hands were tied. I looked out to the main room and saw flickers of fire and Joey’s cry of pain. I choked back tears and Brian shifted in position.

“He’s gonna be okay,” he whispered.

“You don’t know that,” I said, having a single tear run down my face. “He needs water.”

“He needs you,” Brian said. “Adoration triggers his powers, so they’re pissing him off. Although Zac and I didn’t want you two together, it’s actually the one thing that—”

“You didn’t want us together?” I caught.

“He’s not good enough for you, Angel,” Brian said. “He didn’t even tell his mom about you.”

He was right, but one thing was wrong.

“Why was Zac involved in all of this?” I asked.

“I’ll let him tell you,” he decided. Great.

“Angel!” Luke yelled. He showed up at the doorway and rose an eyebrow. “You’re wanted.”

What the h3ll is that supposed to mean?

(Joey’s POV)

“Do it,” I dared. I knew Zac wouldn’t do it. No matter what he did and said to piss me off, he wouldn’t cross the boundary of using Angel. But of course Luke pushed her right into him. “Using her, will just hurt you.”

“It wouldn’t mean anything to me,” Zac insisted. I looked to Luke.

“His guilt about hurting her isn’t gonna get you anywhere,” I told him.  

“It’ll keep you from doing anything,” Luke told me. He started throwing profanities and insults and death threats, but didn’t realize that Zac’s arms stayed locked around Angel’s waist and she pleaded for him not to do anything.