Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~37~ Give Me Your Eyes

~37~ Give Me Your Eyes

I looked down to my left hand. It was attached to Zac’s. My eyes trailed up his muscled arm and rested on his face. His defined jaw was moving as he mouthed the words to the song on the radio. Suddenly, he stopped singing and then smiled to where his dimples concaved. That’s all I needed before I snapped my head away just in time for him to look over at me.

“What?” he asked. I could already hear the sense of humor in his voice.

“Nothing,” I lied.

Why was he so…different now? It couldn’t just be his fancy clothes. It was everything. He seemed more mature and…adoring towards everything. When he said he wanted and deserved a day with me, he meant it. He held my hand or waist at any chance he got. He kissed my cheek often and even the small gesture made my heart start to flutter and the cuteness of it all.

If only he would’ve been this way with Lulu. Then I wouldn’t have hated him all these years. Wait. Lulu…

“Zac…”

“Angel…” he mimicked.

“You have to drop me off right now,” I said, shifting in position.

“Why would I do that?” he asked, frowning.

“Cuz once I step foot outside your car at school, she’s gonna hate me,” I said, starting to panic.

“Who?”

“Lulu!” I started to pull my hand out of his, but he tightened the grip. I then noticed that he pulled the car to the side of the road. Maybe he’d let me go?

“Stop,” he stated. I looked over to him and his beautiful blue and green eyes that matched the color of the clearest oceans. “It’s not about Lulu.”

“She’s my best friend,” I reminded.

“So what? Brian’s my best friend and he doesn’t have a problem with it,” he replied.

“Lulu’s different—”

“I don’t care,” he stated. “I and she are done. She has no say in anything that I do and if she’s willing to let us come in between your friendship just because of one day, then she’s not truly your best friend, Angel.”

He was right. She had given up any right of claim to him and I had said that to her face before. I remember it so because that’s when we had gotten in a fight at the mall and later that day, she had burned all memories of her and Zac. I took a deep breath and then closed my eyes. I felt a squeeze at my hand and then felt the car drive on once more.

For my sake, he didn’t hold my hand when we walked into school. Nonetheless, he had opened my car door and then walked in with me. When we were alone, walking to my locker before first period, he held my backpack and work. I took it from him to organize it in my locker as he leaned against the adjacent locker and looked at me. I had shut my locker and he immediately reached a hand up my face and pulled my bangs back behind my ear. I grabbed his arm as he just stood there, staring at me. He shut my locker and then with that same hand that rested on my neck, he pulled me into him and kissed my head. That’s when I had dropped my backpack and wrapped my arms around his torso. His arms coiled around my shoulders and he squeezed tight. My eyes were shut and then I realized that I had missed him more than I thought.

He pulled away and the warmth escaped me, but then returned when he grabbed my hand after picking up my bag.

The real challenge started when we had left that empty locker hallway for the main one.