Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~42~ Heaven Forbid

a/n: last chapter :c Thank you to all my readers and i hope you'll continue on to read the sequel (: the sequel is called Torching of the Tides, Tsunamis of the Flames!

~42~ Heaven Forbid

(Zac’s POV)

“I feel so distant from the world,” I confessed as I sat right beside my new friends as we all ate dinner. Okay, I wouldn’t say “friends”, considering we met only because we all live together.

“Maybe that’s because you gave up all your connections,” a deep-voiced guy named Ty said as he ate. I haven’t heard him say a single positive thing since I met him…which was what, twelve hours ago?

I shrugged.

“Most people can’t do it that fast,” Grace’s voice said as she walked over, pulled someone up from their seat and then took it. She grabbed bread from their tray in the process. She sat and winked to me. “You’re a tough kid.”

I liked Grace. She was opposite of her name. She had muscles like she’s fought and trained her whole life and walked around in a tank top and camo pants that matched her hat. She was tough and no one messed with her. Maybe that’s why I liked her? Because no one ever messed with me either. But of course, she wasn’t my roommate.

“Let’s see how tough he is after a while,” I heard Dale, a light-haired boy with half-rimmed glasses mutter. He was the boy who Grace had pulled away. Ever since I laid my eyes on him, his cold eyes already told me that we wouldn’t get along. All I did was scoff. Fine.

“Guys, guys, guys—!” Streeter, the gangliest and most awkward person below my bunk started to run up to us, holding onto his thick glasses as he ran through the tables. Everyone looked at him once and then shrugged it off.

“I’m a girl,” Grace growled. She may be built like a guy, but she expected to be treated like a lady.

“And Grace,” Streeter rolled his eyes.

“What’s up?” Archer, a very built roommate of mine asked Streeter.

“It’s crazy. This kid in high school—or was in high school considering he just graduated—he just announced that he found the cure for diabetes!” he informed. I looked up.

“Let’s see if it works,” Ty grunted with his arms crossed.

“Bull sh!t,” Archer smiled.

“No, really! It was just on the news when I was in the head office!” Streeter insisted.

“Yeah right. It’s only been a day here, and you’re making up stories—”

“Devin Hallow,” I said. They all stopped and looked at me. I felt the corners of my mouth raise. “His name’s Devin Hallow. He graduated today and he’s perfected the cure for at least a year that I know of.”

“You know him?” Grace asked. I nodded.

“He was a good friend of mine,” I said.

“Was?” Archer frowned slightly.

“Yeah,” was all I said. I couldn’t tell them anything without revealing the batches before the final cure that resulted in four teenagers being genetically altered with powers. And for some reason, I didn’t mention the fact that he was the brother of the girl I was inevitably in love with. “But he’s a genius. A real genius.”

“That explains why he dumped that friendship,” Ty insulted. I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Our friendship ended because one of his sister’s ex boyfriends and I didn’t really get along well, yet was his best friend so I guess we chose sides,” I shrugged, being very vague.