Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~34~ Louder Than Thunder

~34~ Louder Than Thunder

(Zac’s POV)

“So they have the sweetest girl selling the sweetest treat,” a guy tried flirting with Angel for the fifth time as he waited in line for cotton candy. Of course this was when Devin had taken a break.

“If I give you ten tickets, can I get you instead of the candy?” he asked. That’s it. I told Brian to take over with the popcorn, for my break, and I started to walk over to the guy. Only, Joey made it over there first. He wrapped his arm around Angel’s waist and stood over her like a tower.

“We can switch stations if you want,” I heard Joey tell her. She shook her head. “You sure?”

“Yeah,” she said. Joey gave one long and threatening look to the obnoxious guy and then kissed Angel before leaving.

“Nice boyfriend,” the guy commented, ticked that she was taken.

“Thanks,” Angel muttered.

“Too bad I still don’t care—”

“Look. I’m here to give you cotton candy and that’s it. Not me, not my attention, and not anything else, alright?” Angel interrupted. I smiled. “So take your lame cotton candy and go.”

He did as he was told and he walked off, passing me in his tracks. Angel watched him, shaking her head and then she looked at me for nearly a second before turning away and going on a break with Devin.

***

“What’s your favorite?” I asked, Angel, probably scaring her from behind as she sat outside in the cool air. “Butter, caramel, kettle?”

“What are you even talking about?” she asked, confused. I pulled a bag of popcorn from behind me back.

“Popcorn,” I stated, eating a handful. I offered some to her and she questioned what flavor it was. “I mixed all of them.”

She understood with a nod.

“Zac,” someone said, touching my shoulder as I stood over Angel. I turned to see a group of three girls. “We’re gonna go skate now. You wanna come?”

I looked at Angel from the corner of my eye.

“Uh, I’m kinda busy. Maybe next time?” I replied. They shrugged, disappointed, and then continued their commute inside the huge rink. I took a seat next to Angel, whose nose was nearly as red as Rudolf’s. It had quickly dropped temperature than this morning, but it’s not like I felt it all that much.

I slid next to Angel and propped myself up with a hand behind where she sat. She actually scooted closer to me and leaned her head on my shoulder.

“What are you doing?” asking as if it was foreign affection.

“You’re warm,” she cooed and I noticed her eyes were closed.

“Wanna go somewhere with me?” I randomly asked her. She straightened up and looked at me.

“Sure,” she surprised me. I stood up and we started walking down the ice cold side walk.

“I bet this looks awkward,” she said when there was an awkward silence, two minutes into our walk.

“How?” I asked.

“I’m in a hoodie and jeans while you’re just wearing a t-shirt and shorts,” she answered. Oh.

“Well if anyone says anything, just tell them that heat runs through my blood,” I humored. Puffs of steam came from her mouth as she laughed in the cold air.