Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~38~ Right Thru Me

~38~ Right Thru Me

(Zac’s POV)

“Where are we going?” Angel asked in the car after school. Ever since second period, we’ve been perfect. There were no more fighting and she was keeping her reluctance to herself.

“You’ll see,” I laughed.

“Can I go home first?” she asked.

“For what?”

“I sort of have to tell my parents that I’m gonna be out,” she giggled.

“I already did,” I smirked.

“Wait; what?” she asked.

“This morning while you were getting ready, I told them,” I clarified. It was sort of awkward.

“Zachariah, why are you here?” Mrs. Hallow asked.

I’m picking up your daughter for school,” I answered.

“Why?” she asked, cautiously.  I sighed and put my hands together as I looked up at her.

“Well, actually—”

“Zachariah Tyler,” a new voice commented. I saw Mr. Hallow start to walk out from around the corner.

“Morning,” I said. I looked back to Angel’s mom. “What I was saying was—”

“Did Lulu sleep over or something?” I heard Mr. Hallow whisper to Mrs. Hallow. I sort of smirked.

“I’m here for Angel, not Lulu,” I notified.

“Oh?” Mr. Hallow said, raising an eyebrow. I stood up from the couch.

“I know that you haven’t exactly heard the best stories about me, but…I really like your daughter,” I expressed. “I’m not gonna play games with and I’ll treat her better than, both, Brian and Joey if you just give me permission to—”

“Alright,” he stated. What?

“Excuse me?” I asked.

“Alright. You have full permission,” he allowed. I saw Mrs. Hallow nodding as well. 

“Think of it as a sense of gratitude for saving her life in that fire last year,” she said. I sighed.

“I don’t want her because of that…I want her for her and I want your permission based off what you think of me and Angel being together,” I stated, seriously. Well of course I was serious. This was about Angel and me. They started to nod slower.

“Over the years, all I’ve heard about you is that you’re a jerk or a player or some other words that my wife and I have chose not to use in front of you due to your self esteem—but anyways, with all of that negativity…” he trailed, making me wish I should’ve taken their acceptance earlier. “I think you’d be perfect for our daughter.”

I had closed my eyes for a second, washed over with relief.

“So is that why you’re all dressed up?” Mrs. Hallow asked. I smirked.

“No,” I answered, containing my laugh.

“Then why—”

Oh, God,” Angel expressed from the top of the stairs. I looked up to see her wearing her RIU shirt and my track pants that were obviously too long for her. Her hair flowed down her shoulders without the frizz from bed hair and she didn’t look as groggy. Either way, in either presentation, she was gorgeous. “Mom! Dad! Why are you talking to him?! I’m so sorry.”