Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~21~ Fly on the Wall

~21~ Fly on the Wall

Being supported by a newly grown tree, Brian spied in Angel’s window. I just stood by and used my super-heated nail to engrave something on the back of Joey’s car.

“Sh1t!” Brian started to hiss. I turned to see him jumping from the tree. “She just left her room with him; they’re gonna go out.”

I set his tree on fire, not wanting to get caught and we dove into unnoticeable hiding spots. From beneath a bush I saw them walk out and he opened the door for her.

“Joey Edwards: gentleman,” Angel said in a dramatic announcers voice.

“Angel Hallow: fair maiden,” Joey joked back before leaning down and kissing her. I knew that Brian was gritting his teeth at that act…but then again, so was I.

***

I watched the way Joey and Angel were. Due to the heated air in Joey’s car’s tires, they had walked to their date—which in fact was a drive in movie that they sat in front of.

With every smile and touch, I could tell that they were destined to eventually fall in love. They were perfect. As she loved the water…he was the water.

I looked over and saw Brian staring intently on something outside of the car.

“Dude?” I asked. “What are you doing?”

He raised his hand and then I started to follow his gaze—at Angel and Joey. He grew a vine that was rising from the ground behind Joey’s head. It was starting to make itself a lasso in order to choke out Joey, but I immediately set it on fire so it could disintegrate.

“Dude!” Brian yelled.

“Do you know how many people can see that?” I reasoned.

“They sure saw it when it caught fire…” he hissed. I sent him a look. “This guy is stealing my girlfriend—”

Ex girlfriend,” I commented with clenched teeth. I turned to him. “So was there seriously another girl?”

“What are you talking about?” he asked, still staring at them.

“Why you broke up,” I added. He looked over with brown eyes.

“No…I thought there was and…there wasn’t. She was just a huge flirt and I shouldn’t have even considered the thought of her liking me,” he admitted.

“That hurt Angel, you know?” I told him. “It doesn’t seem like it, but there’s a lot about her that doesn’t meet the eye.”

Like her anger…and care…and—

“You’re falling for her,” he said lowly.

I wanted to deny it, but all I could manage was:

“I guess so.”

He nodded.

“Water beats fire in Angel’s eyes,” he said. I know what he meant.

“Water beats everything,” I corrected. Glad to know I’m the opposite of that.

“What if I said I could help you?” Brian asked. I laughed once. He was kidding right?

“Why the h3ll would you do that?” I asked. He shrugged.

“If you’re with her, I can keep an eye on you. With him? Not a chance,” he informed.

He was basically allowing me to like his ex—the girl that he loved—over someone stronger, smarter, and nicer than me.

“And plus,” he started. “You suck at relationships anyways.”

Heh. Very funny.

“If I was with her…I wouldn’t toy with her like I did with Lulu,” I notified.

“Well that’s a start,” he stated. What? “At least you think about being together.”

I didn’t realize it till now. But the fact that it was Brian Hart making me realize it, I kind of wanted to know what he was truly getting at. I wanted to know what made him tick; only to see if it was true that he wanted this for me.

But instead of taking that chance—rather risk—now, I looked over to Angel and Joey.

“Wanna know something that rarely anyone knows about Angel that I always found sort of attractive?” Brian asked randomly as we still spied.

“That she’s smart?” I guessed. Not a lot of girls were truly smart these days.

“That she gets jealous,” he answered.

And then I got an idea.

***

(Angel’s POV)

“He wants me and you to go out with the two of them?” Joey asked.

“Yes…” I answered.

“Why?” Joey asked.

“Hey. If he’s serious with this Lacy girl, then so be it,” I said.

“Why do you care?” Joey asked.

“Because that’s even more the chance he won’t come crawling back for Lulu,” I semi-lied to him.

Or because her lovey dovey little self is in love with him for the act and needs to be watched. Maybe then Zac would understand that there’s nothing really there for them.

So did I truly care? Yes.

“Please,” I said to Joey and his stern “no”. He shook his head. I reached over and kissed his cheek. “Preeetttyyy please.”

“Fine,” he growled. “But promise me something.”

“Hmm?”

“Stop being cute when I’m driving,” he ordered. “I don’t want to get in a car accident.”