Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~13~ We Didn't Start the Fire

~13~ We Didn’t Start the Fire

It was extraordinary.

For Zac, his pyrokinetic powers were triggered by anger and aggression—an easy emotion—but halted by care and love (especially for Angel).

For Joey, his hydrokinetic powers were triggered by care and love—a somewhat complex emotion—but was stopped by anger and aggression (especially towards Zac).

So if they fight—like now—in the presence of Angel, it can go either way.

(Zac’s POV)

Stay calm. Just stay calm.

Look at Angel.

“Look. Stop fighting, or both of you can leave,” she said, looking at Joey and I. I sighed heavily and knew that there was nothing I could do. Joey didn’t the same with a shaking and disappointed head and then it seemed as though my water swirled along, it different directions, than in his glass. I looked to Devin who carefully studied Joey and his gaze to Angel.

His eyes changed to a brilliant blue and I knew what had happened.

***

“You’re a scam!” I accused at Devin.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Devin said, confused.

“You gave Joey that drug,” I hissed. “You said you were done with this.”

“I said I was done with you,” he hissed back. I leaned back and nodded.

“So instead, you make someone the exact opposite of me,” I accused.

“Whatever do you mean…”

“You know what I mean. I’m fire, he’s ice. I trigger anger, he triggers love. I stop at Angel and he stops…at I don’t know,” I ended, confused.

“He stops at hate,” he said. I looked in his eyes, seeing if he had taken the drug himself and then maybe it’d have a reverse effect because he was acting stupid, but his eyes remained the same color of brown. I sighed and then nearly hung my head in question and stress.

“So what are you gonna do? Make…super heroes with that drug?” I asked.

“Tempting idea,” he said with a smirk. “There’s only three people I want with this and let’s just say…I’ll be the last.”

“Meaning what?” I asked, confused.

“Meaning that I don’t want everyone knowing about this. I intended it to be for a cure, not some gamma strength,” he whispered. He paused. “I’ve tested an unhealthy person like you and a healthy, intelligent person like Joey. You show…signs. With something, but I don’t want to just be making…mutations throughout your body. I’ll let real doctors settle this.”

“So you’re gonna test on yourself?” I asked. He nodded. “And then what?”

“We try to live normal lives,” he ended. It made me leave altogether.

Normal lives? He’s just saying to act normal when if one thing pisses me off, something will catch on fire. If when every time Joey sees and falls more in love with Angel, he’ll make water move…I’m glad we don’t live by the coast, or else everyone would be screwed. It wasn’t just if he cared for Angel, but if he loved and cared at all. He was a nice guy, sure, but he could be dangerous. I’m sure Devin hasn’t even told him about his new powers.

But I see the way he looks at Angel. He’s interested. And she’s interested in him. It’s obvious. And I’m jealous. But why?

I know that she deserves him. He’s…perfect. He’s smart, caring, funny, not to mention a friend of her brother and…and…he now controlled the one thing that Angel cared about; water.

“What?” I hissed over the phone at Lulu, who I’d promised to call back, later that night.

I need to talk to you,” She whispered.

“You are right now,” I reminded.

In person,” she insisted. I rose up in my bed.

“Give me a reason why I should talk to you,” I said.

Cuz you love me,” she reasoned. It went silent. I swallowed. “You do love me right?”

“I thought I did,” I whispered and meant it. I heard her quietly gasp through the phone. “Lulu, you cheated on me, remember? Don’t act so surprised if I say—”

Loving me shouldn’t change, Zac!” she yelled.

“For you maybe,” I started to yell. “For me, it’s different. It’s all different.”

She knew how I felt about love and sh!t, that’s why I never committed the feeling toward her no matter if she did. And now that she used me, I sure as h3ll knew that I didn’t love her. I couldn’t.

Will you still please talk to me?” she whispered in a desperate voice. I sighed and really didn’t want to.

“For what? You cheated, we broke up, you burned my stuff. What’s to be said?” I asked, starting to get madder and madder.

Just please!” she yelled.

“Fine!” I returned before hanging up. I threw a shirt on my bare torso and started to storm out of my house without either of my sisters asking me why. To the pool it is.