The Path

Along my path I have traveled, believing my way serene and direction sure.

Flanked by strong southern oaks, my path laid leveled by faith and paved smooth with hope.

.

The Adversary did take notice of my destination, setting his gaze against me.

To trouble me he sent forth the tempest called Anguish.

My steadfast steps did falter and on my spine I fell.

Bruised, I pressed onward and the Adversary groaned.

.

From his gruesome host he commanded some to seek me out, making contrary my way.

Winged fairies cloaked in crimson and black fell upon me like rain,
speaking unto me with melancholy voices as they perished.

Forgotten spirits passed me by, howling scornful thoughts which gave my mind no ease.

Bruised and troubled, I pressed onward and the Adversary grumbled.

.

He disrupted my path with thought-shaped cracks and dark holes of emotion.

The East Wind he enticed to threaten me and cause me doubt.

The Sun he bribed to lash at me with it's wrath.

Bruised, troubled and weakened, I pressed onward and the Adversary growled.

.

The work of my hands he did cause to sour and the comfort of my rest he stole.

In my sight he made the oaks wither and their branches rot.

Bruised, troubled, weakened and broken, I began to crawl and the Adversary grinned.

.

With a raised hand his intent was to crush, but he was restrained by my Keeper who proclaimed,"Enough."

The Adversary sighed in contempt.

My path laid in ruins, yet my trials did subside.

Crawling, I pressed onward.

.

Two young travelers with a band of infected followers happened upon me from the West, and the Moon traveled with them.

One was pale, casting the shadow of Death in the moonlight while the other was a familiar reflection.

With a strange tongue they spoke unto me and though my ear did not perceive, my heart understood.

One reached down to me with solace and the other with a lost feather.

Their hands I took and I press onward.