Chapter Two - Meet Parker Lennox

"You're okay to catch the bus today right?" My mum asked, grabbing the cup of coffee off the counter

"Yeah," I replied.

Despite moving to our new house a month ago, we still had boxes and boxes of unpacked stuff. Clothes were strewn across the couch because my mum had been too busy to fold them and I had been too tired to.

We hadn't done any of the typical touristy things or even gone around, hence leaving me with no idea of directions, forcing me to stay at home and surf the internet in my spare time.

After a few minutes on Google maps, I'd managed to work out exactly where to go to get to my bus stop. It was straight down my street until the roundabout, then a left onto the main road. It was stop number fifty four. Also, according to Google, it would take me twenty minutes to walk there, giving me about ten minutes to get changed before I had to leave the house.

Just looking at the uniform as it hung up in my wardrobe was a strange sight. My old uniform had been predominantly grey and somewhat boring. This new one looked like something straight out of a movie. The girls' uniform consisted of a navy pleated skirt, white blouse, striped white and blue bow, a navy blazer and black shoes.

My ten minutes was up and I grabbed my bag, locked the door and left. As I was walking, I kept an eye out for any strange slow moving cars or people walking around me. It was better to be safe than sorry. My friends would always tell me I had been watching too much of Criminal Minds.

My phone vibrated and I pulled it out of my pocket. "Hello?" I answered.

"Hi, is this Daisy Sorenson?"

"Yes it is."

"This is Marco Romano from Marco's Pizza. I've had a chance to look over your resume and I'd be happy for you to come in for an interview today."

I'd completely forgotten about the job application. Before we'd moved in I'd had a browse of job openings and applied. I'd held little belief that I'd actually receive a response.

"Okay, that sounds great."

"You're a high school student, is that right?"

"Yes."

"How does 4 o'clock sound?"

"Sounds good."

"Alright, I'll see you then."

"Bye."

Should I have added "have a nice day" to try and get on his good side, or would that have sounded too try-hard? Either way, too little too late, which was about to be my response to another thing if I didn't hurry up and haul ass to the bus stop.

I could see it coming down the road, currently behind a lollipop man holding out signs for the small kids to cross the street. I bolted down towards the roundabout, checked for cars, and sprinted left. The bus arrived just as I came to a halt and stuck out my hand to signal.