Chapter Fifteen - Lost At Sea

Chapter Fifteen – Lost at Sea

"I need a sample of Holden's DNA," he replied matter-of-factly.

After discussing the reasons for the ludicrous request – reasons he didn't give me – as well as the legal side of it, I convinced him to give me a week. That would be enough time for me to ask Holden about what skeletons in the closet Logan could possibly be after.

I never understood why movie and book characters agreed to keep such ridiculous secrets. Sure, my reputation as well as Holden's could go up in smoke, but that was potentially reversible. I wasn't about to turn over Holden's DNA to a potential psychopath.

The next day upon arrival to school, I was greeted by a myriad of banners in the hallway advertising the cruise to celebrate the start of the basketball season. These kids really liked living it large. I hadn't run into Holden at all that morning despite the pressing matters and decided to go to their club room to find him.

On all the TV screens fixed in the various homerooms and around the school, a single news channel was playing. The TV in their club room was no exception.

"Arthur Lennox has been released following discovery of new documents which show chief operating officer Bradley Hawthorne was responsible for the insider trades," the news anchor read.

They cut away to the Lennox family. "We are glad that the truth has come to light, and we will focus on repairing the damage that has been done to both my family and the company," Arthur Lennox said. His wife stood beside him, along with Parker, both keeping somber appearances. Arthur turned to hug his wife and son before informing the press that he would be taking no further questions.

It was clear many of the families at Pemberton had thought the insider trading scandal would bring an end to the Lennox empire, but those families had been wrong.

"Bradley Hawthorne might be going away for a few years, but once he comes out, he's probably got millions stashed in some offshore account," came Parker's voice.

"What do you mean?" I replied, surprised he would imply such a thing about his own family.

"You know what I mean," he said. "Besides, now a few of my so-called friends have revealed their true thoughts."

"True, not a lot of people like you very much," I said, instantly regretting it as the words left my mouth.

"You sure don't sugar coat it, do you?" He laughed. "I don't mind," he shrugged. "I hate two-faced people the most. You're a close second," he grinned.

"Gee thanks," I replied dryly. "Anyway, have you seen Holden anywhere?"

"You lovebirds sure like to put on a show," he remarked. "I heard about yesterday."

I rolled my eyes. "So where is he?"

"Probably buying tickets for the cruise this Friday night. It's a huge tradition that everyone looks forward to in senior year."

"Do you rich people just love boats?"

"Actually, the school owns a private island. That's where the actual party is. We don't just sit around on boats all day."

"Good to know. I'm going to go find him now."

Unsurprisingly, by the time I'd reached the makeshift ticketing booth, Holden had already bought my ticket and his. Had he ever heard of the word 'frugal' in his entire life? "Can you stop throwing your cash around? When did I even say I was going to be free?" I groaned.