Chapter Eight - The Lennox Lawsuit

Chapter Eight – The Lennox Lawsuit

"Come on," I hissed. I ushered Parker onto the bus before checking behind us and following. The bus started moving and he took his hoodie off. Aside from the bus driver, we were the only ones on the bus. It wasn't surprising, since kids with that zip code didn't exactly take the bus.

Suddenly, it screeched to a halt. "Get down," I said to Parker. He put his hoodie up and ducked down. We'd stopped at a bus stop in front of another gated community. I saw Holden and let out a sigh of relief. He waved, grinning.

"Why are you catching the bus?" I exclaimed.

"It looks fun," he replied, sitting on the seat in front of us.

"Are you serious? I hate catching the bus."

"I've never caught one before. Is it always this empty?"

"In this area it is," I laughed.

Beside me, Parker shifted in his seat, putting the hoodie down again. His eyes were dark and sunken in. It'd been a few days since the news broke out and the reporters had been hunting him, camping outside the gates to catch him. We'd spent some time planning a sneak out plan for Parker and figured the bus would be the perfect cover. After all, no one would ever think to search for a kid billionaire on the public bus.

"Any progress with the case?" I asked.

"Knowing my dad, he's probably guilty, but Steph's family is on the case, so if there's any firm that can get him out of this crap hole, it's them," he replied. I nodded slowly.

The bus finally pulled up to the stop closest to the school. Closest wasn't saying much because the stop was a mile away. "You did not tell me the stop was so far!" Holden exclaimed. "If you had, I wouldn't have caught the damn bus."

"I did! You just weren't paying attention," I retorted.

He took his phone out of his pocket and dialed someone. "Uh huh. Are there any posted in front? Uh huh. What about the back?" He hung up. "I'd call my driver, but Steph said they're crawling around the place."

"Guess we walk," I said.

It was uncharacteristically hot for so early in the morning. "I think I'm going to die," Holden complained.

"I would never have guessed that you were such a drama queen."

"I might not die, but my throat is so dry it feels like there's sandpaper down there," Parker added.

I took off one of the straps of my backpack and flipped it to my side, rummaging through before taking out two drink bottles and handing them to Holden and Parker. That was when I realised neither of them had backpacks. "Did you guys forget your bags or something?"

"What?" Parker asked after chugging down half the bottle.

"We have two sets of textbooks and workbooks, and vending machines do exist you know," Holden explained.

"Hold up," I said. I could clearly remember the vending machines that stood at the end of every hallway, brightly illuminated with cold refreshments and snacks. A water bottle in that thing was five bucks. "You pay five dollars for your water bottles?"

"Yeah?" Parker replied, finishing up my bottle before tossing the empty one into a bin.

"Ha ha ha," I laughed weakly.

When we approached the front gates of the school, it was obvious the reporters had also changed locations; there were vans parked out front with a swarm of reporters stopping anyone they could for an interview. That was when a thought hit me. "Why did you not just hire bodyguards?" I asked.