Chapter Ten - Prince of Darkness

My phone screen informed me that I'd been facetiming my mum for two hours

My phone screen informed me that I'd been facetiming my mum for two hours. As expected, grandpa wasn't doing any better, but we were both glad she'd gotten there to spend some time with him. "Ok, I'm going to go grab the washing. I'll talk to you later," I said to my mum.

"You? Washing clothes?" She laughed.

"Yes, it's surprisingly simple."

"Did you separate the whites?" She asked, alarmed.

"Duh," I replied, uncomfortably chuckling. "Okay, bye." I quickly hung up.

I'd forgotten to separate the whites, and my all white costume was in that load. Taking in a deep breath and praying to the heavens that my costume had been saved, I opened the door. My beautiful and very, very expensive shorts and top were now a weird grey colour. Fabulous.

My phone rang. "What do you want, Holden?"

"That's no way to talk to the love of your life, now is it?" Parker replied.

"Parker? Why are you answering Holden's phone?"

"He's busy fluffing his hair. Anyway, the limo is dropping by to pick you up in an hour."

He hung up.

Guess I didn't have many options. I put the shorts and top on. Thirty minutes into my eyeliner, I decided it wasn't going to look any better than the shoddy crayon line I currently had and gave up. If I took any longer, I wouldn't have time to finish lacing my boots up.

The doorbell rang and I hefted the wings onto my shoulders before opening the door.

"You go for a roll in the mud, angel?" Holden joked. He was in a crisp white suit, blonde hair swept back prince-like.

"Lost your wings buddy?" I replied.

"In the limo," he gestured.

I locked the door and walked towards the limo. Holden opened the door for me before crossing to the other side to get in. Just as I was shutting the door, I heard a crunching noise. "Damn," I snarled. I'd clipped my wings in the door. I opened it again and pulled the wing inside. It was now crooked.

Across from me, Parker was laughing. He was in black on black as expected. "Surprise," Holden grinned, handing him a huge set of black wings.

"The hell am I supposed to be?" Parker replied.

"Satan? I don't care. You look like you're going to a funeral."

The limo arrived at the hotel early and we all got out. Holden and Parker strapped their wings on while I tried to bend the crook in my wing back out. Hardly anyone was there yet, but we put on our masks anyway.

"I feel ridiculous," Parker commented.

"You look it too," Holden reaffirmed, hitting his friend on the back.