Chapter 3 - Canteen Moments

After his last conversation with Kristen, he had been lucky to stay away from her in class right the way up to lunch break. Fortunately, Laura had kept Kristen well away, introducing her to the rest of the group and half of the boys that were in the class, stopping her from going over to Matt. Though he didn't like Laura, he appreciated the fact that she could be so demanding of a person at times. If someone didn't give her their full attention then it was her goal to change that. 

Matt enjoyed the silence and loneliness more than he thought. It was as if he hadn't been alone in days and so it was good to just sit and be in his own little world again away from the whispers and funny looks he usually received. Thankfully, most people paid attention to Kristen and therefore had something else to talk about so he didn't even get mentioned during class, which was a new one.

His nose was finally free from her choking smell of raspberries, smothered by the several other people between them, all of their different flowery scents mixing together to make a constant smell of a meadow. He liked it because it was faint, so he could breathe the nice clean air coming from the window next to him and didn’t have to strain for breath. The window seat was always his, everyone knew that.

          Even though Kristen was on the other side of the room, he could still see her looking over every so often as if checking that he was still there. It was an easy mistake to make considering as he never joined in in anything and preferably sat in a corner away from everyone. Even so, he didn't like the attention he was getting from her. He wanted to be invisible but she was making it very difficult.

Every time she looked, he’d glare back and lean on his table, giving her a horrible nasty stare. By the end of second lesson, she’d stopped looking over and had started to enjoy herself with Laura and Franchesca, one of the other girls who trailed after Laura every so often, smiling shyly at some of the boys who talked quietly to her under their breaths.

Still, Matt saw Laura’s jealous looks as Kristen got the attention from the boys and even wrapped her arm around Kristen’s shoulder to take the attention away from her. The jealousy Laura had was clear to Matt even if it wasn't clear to anyone else. He sat away from everyone and observed their behaviours. It wasn't hard to see an envious girl.

          The bell went and Matt sighed, pushing his chair lightly back to the wall. From the corner of his eye he could see Kristen glancing over again but he ignored her, flinging his bag onto his shoulder and pushing his chair very gently under the table. He waited, fiddling with something in his bag so that Kristen could go before him, stopping her from casually talking to him as he passed. He saw her hesitate and watch before Laura took her hand, laughed at something Jason said, and dragging her out of the door.

          Matt switched his radar on and watched as her yellow form drifted to the left with several brighter lights around her. Then, he quickly crossed the classroom and opened the door, slipping outside into the corridor.

          He was happy it was lunch, if only because he didn’t have to listen to everyone going on about their own subjects. Of course, learning was vital, good for life. Yet, he didn’t much care or listen to any of the information that was thrust upon him from passing students. From what he was, he couldn’t get lessons for. He wished they did make lessons, but they didn’t. Anyway, it was probably too dangerous to teach people like him the way he should be taught.

It was annoying being the way he was and he was sure people realised his diet change. If they did, they didn’t say so, but that might have been because no one talked to him anyway, and he wasn’t complaining about that one bit. He never heard any comments about his diet, though he never listened when he ate. He really didn't care either way.