Chapter 14 - "Wolf"

Matt shook his head and stretched, his legs aching. Last night had to be one of the worst nights he’d had in a while. It had just rubbed in the fact that he was never going to be like anyone normal again. He was never going to be able to hold someone close and feel love and be able to mess around without being too scared to hurt anyone.

          It wasn’t just that it was an emotional night. Another thing was that he’d been injured and now his human chest had a red line of an almost healed cut from the knife he’d been stabbed with that night. He’d never been hurt since he’d realised what he was and so he’d never experienced the healing rate his body now had.

He was surprised to find out that even though the wound was quite deep, in less than a few hours his body had closed the wound and it was now pink as if he’d just scratched himself with his nails. It was a weird sensation as his skin felt a bit tight around the wound but other than that he felt normal and it wasn’t painful in the slightest, just a bit itchy.

          The week had mostly been wasted. He now had to start all over again looking for a prime suspect which he could link all of the disappearances with. Kristen wasn’t involved, that was obvious, and so the disappearances that started as soon as she moved was a coincidence. Something was killing these people and the worst thing about it was that Matt didn’t have any idea who or what it was.

          Matt slowly got ready and was out of the door in a few minutes. His walk to school was a quick one and, in no time at all, he was outside one of the English classes leaning against the shelf, feeling it bend under his weight. He ran his fingers through his hair and glared at one of the younger students who was looking at him as they walked past. She quickly hurried along and Matt rolled his eyes, continuing to groom.

          No doubt he was going to be told about what happened last night with Kristen and Gareth. Luckily he had Art first so he didn’t have to look at Kristen and Gareth snuggling anywhere. It didn’t mean that he wasn’t going to see them this morning though. He hoped that he didn't but, knowing his luck, he definitely would.

          Matt sighed and closed his eyes, trying not to get distracted by the idea of the couple. He had to think of something else. He decided to go against what he normally thought about and thought of his little sister Aimee.

How her hair was always caught in the wind each time it blew, as if it wanted to carry her away into the sky. She always smiled and always talked about everything that happened, with no secrets and no lies, especially with Matt. He had loved her so much. He missed her so badly. He wished, just for one more day, that he could see her, if only to say goodbye to her properly. He hated the fact that the last thing she’d seen had been him at his worst.

          Yet again, he was surprised by the presence of Kristen and how she was able to take him unaware. He swore he was getting used to her scent, and that was a very bad thing. He hated to admit that his body now didn’t mind so much that she was close by to him, even though her smell still made him unable to breathe and the oxygen was now flavoured with raspberries wherever he turned.

“Hey.” She said and Matt jumped and snapped his eyes open. She was next to him, looking away from him down the corridor, but the closeness of her suggested that she wasn’t intending of going anywhere.

“Hey.” He replied and then forced himself to close his eyes again. He wanted to relax. She wouldn’t try anything. They were in school and she was now going out with Gareth so she wouldn’t dare risk being seen. That and she was no longer a suspect so it wasn’t as if he had anything to be worried about. Still, it made him weary being unable to see what she was doing and after a while he gave in and opened his eyes once again.