Chapter 5 - The Morning After

Matt’s body timer clicked into gear. He stretched his arms out over his head and placed his hot hands on the wall’s cool surface. His bed was the best place in the world in the morning. He never wanted to get up. However, he knew things had to be done in preparation for the night to come so he groaned and dragged himself out, creaking the bed as he did so.

          The first thing he did was pour the bath and sort out everything he needed for when he changed again. It was automatic now. He'd done the routine so often since the first time that he'd changed that it was second nature to him to pour as soon as he woke up. He didn't like making a mess and the only time it had ever happened was when he didn't know what he was. Since then, he pushed himself into the routine to keep the house in a decent condition instead of blood everywhere.

He wished that when he poured the bath for himself it would be warm when he got in, though with it sitting there all day it obviously would have turned ice cold by the time he actually got to use it. He also wished that his clothes stayed on him instead of ripping to pieces if he didn’t get them off in time.

But that was life, Matt thought glumly.

          He got changed into his dark shirt and jeans and placed his tie around his neck loosely. Afterwards, he tidied up a little before drinking a whole gallon of water from the tap. When he got up every morning he was always so thirsty, probably from the raw meat that he ate that night.

He didn’t like the normal cereals and toast definitely wasn’t quite the nicest breakfast in the world so he went into the fridge and took out a leg of chicken that he’d been saving for snacks during the day if he was hungry and he was at home, having had a stupid dinner at college which far from filled him up. He swore he developed another stomach when he turned.

          Though he was very early compared to normal, he didn’t care. He wanted the day to be over and done with and he didn’t have much else to do. He exited the house and began to walk slowly. Running wouldn’t be such a good idea with everyone getting up and looking out the windows, or walking to school or college, or driving to work. He would definitely be seen and, though he loved to run, he didn’t want to risk it.

          He stretched his fingers as the cool air skimmed his hot skin. Wolves were very hot most of the time, hotter than the usual human. That was probably the reason why he didn’t want Kristen touching his skin. He was constantly a hot water bottle with no way of cooling down. Kristen would certainly notice his temperature if she touched him for more than a moment. The last thing he wanted was her being suspicious about him and worrying about him maybe having a high temperature.

          Also, with her being a suspect of maybe being not all human, she would definitely realise he was kind of the same and would ask questions or maybe do something else. It would help if he knew what the smoky thing was he saw last night. Then he could maybe match some more points to her or anyone else around the area. She certainly seemed human in classes, though so did he really, besides the random outbursts of anger he couldn't help having when people were winding him up like a jack-in-the-box.

          He was thinking about the smokey thing again and it was annoying him. It was because he was curious to find out what it was and who it was, if it was a who. It could be a threat to him if he ignored it completely. Of course it wouldn’t be much of a competition, for he was a monster and was definitely stronger than some poxy bit of smoke. So it was faster than him, he was caught unawares and he was sure that if he saw it again he would be able to catch it and pin it down, maybe figure out what it was.

          He was at college before half of the teachers and most of the students. Good. He liked to be alone, like normal. Laura was already there, as usual, slinking around Harry like he was a prize to be won. He looked happy to be her next piece of eye candy, laughing and joking with her as she brushed around his arms and posed in all sorts of ways as she moved, laughing loudly with him and pushing him in a playful manner. Matt could hear their conversation quite clearly from where he sat, especially as there weren't many people around.