Chapter 30 - Water

Luckily, Matt's first class had been Art so he hadn't had to sit with Kristen wondering how to react around her. He liked her company (he was actually starting to admit it to himself) but he didn't want to be in the awkward position of whether or not to act like a couple in public. He didn't need any more attention and, with Kristen hanging out with him anyway, he certainly wasn't losing anyone's eye. 

Art, for once, didn't appeal to him. He didn't feel like drawing so he just sat there and stared into space. The teacher looked at him strangely but didn't mention it and Matt was glad. He didn't want anyone coming near him just because they thought they could because Kristen had been able to weasel her way into his life. 

It must have looked strange, seeing him so calm and mellow, but no one pointed it out and, if they did, it was never to Matt. People still didn't risk his anger and he was thankful for that. He didn't need anyone else trying to press themselves onto him.

He didn't need any more friends.

Art was over surprisingly quickly and Matt rushed towards the canteen to get there first. He got his usual meaty plate, including meatloaf, and dropped to his usual table, shoveling food down his throat before the rest of the students came wandering in. He wondered whether to wait for Kristen before leaving but just as he thought about it, she came through the door and spotted him immediately. He needed more food anyway so he stood up and moved back towards the line for a second time.

"Hey. I'll wait." She said as they passed each other. Matt just nodded and watched as she moved around and sat on the same table he was on previously, tapping her fingernails against the top as she waited. 

He almost got distracted from his food. He was only brought back by the clearing of the old woman's throat as she eyed him suspiciously. He just indicated the rest of the food and she rolled her eyes before dumping another portion on his plate.

They should have learnt by now, surely.

Matt moved back towards the table and sat down opposite Kristen. He slowly pushed a glass of water towards her and she smiled before fiddling with it in her fingers. Matt quickly dug in, knowing that she was watching as he did so. He didn't feel uncomfortable as such, but it was unnerving feeling her gaze on him and he wanted it over and done with. 

Once done, he pushed his plate away and then looked up at Kristen. She was sat there quietly, looking down at the table, a soft smile glittering her mouth as if she was thinking about a past memory. She'd been silent whilst he'd eaten and he wondered what she was thinking about currently.

Kristen must have noticed his cock-eyed look because the corners of her mouth lifted up further and she sighed, relaxing against the seat. "Did you enjoy that?"

Matt nodded and licked his lips.

"I used to love meat. Anything with chicken in was my favourite. I had it with almost everything. I miss it. All I can taste now is bland cardboard or powder. There's still a hint of what it used to taste of but it's completely overpowered."

"Sounds terrible."

"It is." She pressed her hands against the surface of the table in front of her and Matt followed her tapping fingers. "My diet just feels like I'm drinking different flavours of smoothies."

Matt frowned and looked around. They weren't getting much attention but he still wondered why Kristen was almost too obvious with what she was. True, she'd worded it carefully, but anyone with suspicions would have figured out what she meant. She had to be more careful.

Kristen carried on, oblivious to Matt's thoughts. "Some taste better than others, I've noticed." Her eyes sparked and Matt suddenly clocked on, his eyes widening.