Chapter 18 - If Only Time Could Turn Back The Clock

By the time Matt got home he didn’t want to do much else. The incident with Kristen and Gareth had him thinking. Laura was making it way too obvious for Kristen not to realise it. She must know there was something going on between him and her best friend.

Any normal person would have caught on.

          Kristen wasn’t normal though, he guessed. She was different. He didn’t know why but she was. Her smell was fruity instead of like a flower, she came back no matter how much he pushed her away, and she gave him a look as if she was looking into his soul and ripping him to shreds…

          Just like what he would do if he ever got his hands on her. He sighed and dumped himself onto the sofa in front of the TV. He wanted to just close his eyes and pretend that nothing had ever happened since the night before the death of his family. Ha, like that would come true. If only time could turn back the clock.

          He stretched out as much as he could and curled his feet up so his legs bent on the sofa. His fingers curled around the notebook he’d picked up before he’d sat down. He dropped it onto his lap and pulled out the pencil on the side, pressing the end to his lips. Soon he began to draw again.

          Slow movements sketched out a puddle which took up most of the page. It was shimmering as if something had been dropped under the skin of the surface, disrupting the water particles, creating a soft pattern of rings that rippled to the edges towards gravel floor. A shadow shadowed the place where the object had been dropped. It was a large dark shape that soon formed into a black silhouette of a sitting wolf, the iris’s of the eyes illuminating in the middle, only a very faint shape of the back legs and tail that stuck up, pointing at the stars above. The face was leaning forward towards the puddle as if looking for something. There, in the middle of the ring of puddles, lay a larger stone, obviously worn down by the beating of the other stones, shaped into a perfect heart.

          He stopped and looked at his artwork, then frowned and closed the notebook. He was being stupid and pathetic and needed to get over himself. He would try to draw something other than a wolf but it would still end up including something to do with one. He threw the notebook at the wall and it slapped against the brick with a clap before dropping to the floor with a bang.

          He had to find Kristen. He couldn’t just leave her with Gareth. It wasn’t right. If he didn’t tell her and she found out that he knew all about it she would kill him.

Not literally.

That would probably be a good thing either way but for some reason he didn’t like the idea of upsetting her that way. He could help her. Upsetting her would help her eventually. At least Gareth would be removed from the picture.

          He stood up and glanced out of the window. It was darkening outside but he knew he still had a few hours before he changed. He’d be safe, he’d just have to be careful about how he handled everything.

          It wasn’t hard to find her. He exited the house and took in a deep breath before moving quickly to where he’d last seen her. Her smell was still strong. His nose was so sensitive to her now it was ridiculous on how much he could recognise her smell in a crowd, no matter how many different smells there were coating it. He started to follow the smell and moved around several corners, watching out for passers by, which he swiftly dodged.

          Soon he was able to smell Gareth’s smell and his nose turned up. They were close. His smell was fresh. He stopped and listened carefully. It was more difficult to do so in a human form but the later the day became the stronger his senses became. He moved quickly but made less noise as he did so, padding on the balls of his feet.