Chapter 6 - People Just Never Learn

Lunch was much like last time. He got his dinner and moved to an empty table, only just able to keep in control as the smell of the meat rose to his nose and blocked his other senses like an invisible coating. As he placed the rounded tray on the table (he'd kept hold of his own tray to stop himself destroying another one), he picked up his knife and fork and carefully cut a large chunk off the meat infront of him.

He hated being this slow when he had food in front of him and his stomach was grumbling noisily but it was for appearances and so he knew he had to keep his speed to a minimum. As he took a bite of the raw meat that he had indicated, he closed his eyes and felt the blood roll over his tongue and slide down his throat in delicious droplets.

          Now, most lads would have been sick to taste blood from the animal but he loved it. It made the meat taste even nicer, he thought. It was probably due to the freak that he had become but, even then, he had always loved the flavour of raw meat ever since he was little. He never would have been able to be a vegetarian even if he'd wanted to. His parents always had trouble shoving vegetables down his throat...

He could feel his throat opening wider, begging for more meat. He had enough strength to take it slow but really, with his stomach complaining with the teasing, his eyes watering with the wonderful strong animal smell, and the delicious mouth-watering look of it, his hands shook, not because he was changing but because he was holding himself completely back in case he showed his wild side other some stupid pieces of meat.

          He was half way through it and still was no way full. They should have realised by now that he was a very hungry creature, and they should just pile half the meat up onto his plate to stop him coming back again and again, even thoug he refused to do so usually. He had a feeling they did it just to annoy him but as long as he got his food for his lunch he was happy and he wouldn’t complain.

          He finished his meat and licked his lips with hunger. They tasted so nice that sometimes he’d make the mistake of biting his own lip instead of his food and he usually wouldnt notice until he brought his fingers to his mouth and saw red.

He saw a group of people coming in out of the corner of his eye and looked up to see Kristen and Laura, along with loads of girls and a few lads behind them as they entered the canteen after being in class. Again, Laura was laughing, her arm linked with Kristen’s like they were inseparable as they both chatted to people from either side of them. He shook his head and glanced down at his empty plate.

          A stupid idea suddenly came to his mind, showing him running at them, grabbing Laura by the throat and biting down hard into her flesh, drinking the sweet blood that ran in her veins and tasting the wonderful tasty meat under the skin. Humans had to taste really good but he couldn’t bring himself to do that to find out. Although Laura was a pain, he didn't think that she deserved to be killed.

He wasn’t a murderer.

Sure, animals he would eat as humans ate them too, but he wouldn’t taste a human no matter how much he was tempted to. He supposed the smells that came from them should tempt him but, really, some of them were just horrible. The boys especially stunk. If they were supposed to be tempting then they weren't doing a good job. He'd rather eat proper food than munch on mud and papery flowers.

          He could see from the corner of his eye that Kristen and Laura had sat down, both pulling out sandwiches and biscuits. They were passing food around and sharing stuff with everyone. Half the people hadn’t brought much so they didn’t have much to eat considering that there were loads of them. Laura, obviously, got most of it, but strangely Kristen seemed to only have a biscuit and a sandwich with a pear.